Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How screwed am I for Home Defense if I sell my AR15 and use a 590A1 instead?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

How screwed am I for Home Defense if I sell my AR15 and use a 590A1 instead?

As the title suggests, I will be trying to sell my AR15 and scope soon - found out wife is prego and I'm going to need funds for prenates, diapers, formula, doctor checkups, etc etc.

I've been looking at getting a second-hand 590A1 from a local pawn shop. I know the owner and trust him, don't think he's a shady character. The receiver has some surface scratches, but the bore looks good, action locks up tight and cycles smoothly.

My question is, will the 590, with either LE132 or LE132-1B, be as effective as my AR, which I'm loading with MK318? I don't see how a series of 8 or 15 round balls could do as much damage as the MK318, but I could very well be wrong.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Congratulations on being a father-to-be! (assuming you aren't already)

I would strongly recommend against selling your rifle if you can financially avoid it... at worst, sell the scope and keep the rifle.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Congrats on baby!
    If have to sell AR (which sux) my vote would be for pistol and CCW permit... If dont already have pistol/permit.
    ETA: and training
    Last edited by lunchbox; 10-13-15 at 16:29.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Thank you to both!
    I already have my pistols and CCW: Sig P938 and XD9.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Congrats on the baby. The shotgun will not be as ideal in the home defense department as your AR, but it will be better than a broom. Really, either of your handguns will be better than the shotgun for home defense. If I were you, I would get another job before I sold my rifle.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Congrats on the great news! I wish you guys a very healthy and happy baby.

In my opinion, the shotgun is not as effective as an AR-15 for HD. This has been debated at length on this forum so please search around and you'll find pages and pages of it. More importantly, no matter what you have, put in the effort to become proficient with your weapon of choice. Practice A LOT and make sure you can run your gun if you ever need to use it to protect you and yours. Good luck.

Feedback Score
    If your situation is tight enough selling the AR is going to make a difference, sell it, don't buy a thing, put the money in the bank and brace yourself for the bill after delivery.
    All that other stuff is nickel and dime, if you're employed, you can squeeze it from somewhere. The delivery, anesthesia (if needed), and hospital stay are a series of big bills, if everything goes normal and you have insurance, you might manage to pay one with the proceeds.
    Shotguns may not be the pinnacle of defensive weapons, but they have a decent history of it. If all I had was mine and a pistol or two I'd sleep soundly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How screwed am I for Home Defense if I sell my AR15 and use a 590A1 instead?

Congrats on the new addition!

I looked at your profile page. You're a PA. I don't know if you have looked into it but try the Guard or Reserve. Providers are in short supply and that'd be a great way to augment your income.

That $1,000 or so you'd get from the sale will be swallowed so fast you won't even realise that you got it. Then I'm sure you are going to want to buy another rifle as little bit gets older.

Just my 2¢. Again congrats. Babies are great. Daughters are even better!

ETA: Didn't answer the OP. My mistake. I agree w/the others. If you need to sell the rifle just use your pistols for HD
    Last edited by Gombey; 10-13-15 at 18:57. Reason: Forgot to answer the original question.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ---
    If not me, then who?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Congrats! However, your wife is not a pasta sauce, that's rude.

Nothing wrong with that for HD but use the proper loads. Know your home well, and how thick your walls doors are, etc. Honestly though, buy a light for your handgun and use that, in my humble opinion.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    IMO sell the rifle and just rely on handguns until you can replace the rifle.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast