Thread: results of laser vs normal pistol sights

Feedback Score

results of laser vs normal pistol sights

I was testing a crimson trace green lasergrip on a g17 and was able to easily ring an 8" steel plate at 50yards. Using strong hand only, i was getting hits at 35yards. I could see the green dot bouncing around on the plate and focused on keeping it steady and gently pulling the trigger.

Normally using trijicon hd sights and both hands, I would be comfortable at 25yards and if i was having a good day I could stretch it out to 35yards.

What is the lesson from this experience? I would like to get better with iron sights.

Feedback Score
    I don't really have a lot of time with a laser on a pistol.

At night an ir on a carbine rules.
    Trying to line up nods, sight, from crazy positions, etc. can take up a lot of time.

Laser on target and squeeze trigger from any position can be fast.

Have one foot on ground, and other on rolly piece of rock , concrete, one toes and one foot to see over wall and can't line up nods with sight vs. laser.

I can only guess how much faster some GM uspsa guy would be with a laser on his pistol.

Feedback Score
    IR lasers on rifles are awesome. I run a parallel zero on the carbine and with this crimson trace. My best guess at the improved performance with the handgun is the laser shows how little movement shakes the dot all over the target and if it is still on target. This leads to extra concentration to keep it steady and gently pull the trigger. I think it will translate over to non-laser shooting because it shows the level of focus needed at distance to get hits.

I think another factor is the amount of target covered by the sight. The HD's cover most of the target at that distance but the laser dot covers ~2 inches.