Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apparently H&K G36 issues totally overblown....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A lot of Popo that got the G36 were like "MAN! This is a space gun! So cool!"

Then the wandering zeroes, the uncomfortable cheek weld, the astigmatizing 1.5 optic (not much eye relief), the not very helpful folding stock, the verdammt wandering zero, and it just really sucked.

So back to ARs. This isn't including the trigger. The charging handle however was placed in a convenient area. That part was good.

The Matrix looks and HK name kinda betrays that it is a cheap AR-18 copy with a bit too much plastic.

The way the world is, HK41xs would be smart. Standard mags and a sensible .308 without having to lug out the G3s and the MSG90s.

With the 5.56, Geissele rails, optics and a more comfy stock.

Just an opinion

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Well my M16A1 with Colt and 416 upper had a wandering zero after full auto dumps. But there are wandering zeros and wandering zeros.

I have no skin in this, I can't get a G36 even if it is made of magic. I was just laughing at how strident people are on this.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Well my M16A1 with Colt and 416 upper had a wandering zero after full auto dumps. But there are wandering zeros and wandering zeros.

I have no skin in this, I can't get a G36 even if it is made of magic. I was just laughing at how strident people are on this.
    Well, the G36 barrel trunnion is mated to a polymer upper, which causes the most flex and wandering of the zero. The Firearm blog failed to address this since after repeated use, the polymer loses it's hardness and softens, allowing the barrel to flex. Then during cool-down, the polymer hardens into it's current state. Here is a link to the said barrel trunnion. http://i.imgur.com/ZJnX1hq.jpg

What the AR-15 platform differs is that the barrel mounts directly to a aluminum upper, with the barrel nut holding it in. There's no plastic goodness to muck up accuracy after hard or repeated use. So the AR platform is an inherently more accurate system.
    Last edited by Valintina; 10-15-15 at 21:18. Reason: Misplaced a word or two.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hmm...I dunno. It's just when folks and instructors were calling it the "street sweeper" and my own experiences; it really didn't do much for me.

If a Steyr aug P can keep a consistent zero with swapout barrels and a built in 1.5 (that was way more generous than the G36)
    Then why is it doing that?

I have several personal HK guns I love. I'm not a hater but god I will never trust a G36. I am colored by my negative experience.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    What the AR-15 platform differs is that the barrel mounts directly to a aluminum upper, with the barrel nut holding it in. There's no plastic goodness to muck up accuracy after hard or repeated use. So the AR platform is an inherently more accurate system.

I am familiar with the argument. That's why I posted the article. I was also the one who posted the original article saying it had problems. Some people say it holds zero, some say it doesn't. Most people seem to have some sort of axe to grind either way. I could care less.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I am familiar with the argument. That's why I posted the article. I was also the one who posted the original article saying it had problems. Some people say it holds zero, some say it doesn't. Most people seem to have some sort of axe to grind either way. I could care less.
    I think the axe to grind comes from the reputation of the G36 as being that mysterious German wonder rifle. I remember when I was a kid, I watched Tales of the Gun on the Tinfoil Hat-excuse me-History Channel. On one episode, they showed the then-brand new G36 and dubbed it the "perfect assault rifle": A rifle with all the strengths of both the AR and AK and with none of either one's weaknesses. Since very few people here in the U.S. have actually gotten to handle one, and the fact that the Army almost adopted it to replace the M4, there was little to counter those rumors. For 20 years, we've had the less knowledgeable asking why the hell do we keep this POS rifle that pukes on itself and jams if you even say the word "dust" when we could be using the perfect assault rifle? So now, it's out: It's no "perfect rifle." That's why, among other reasons, why we're still using the rifle that "pukes on itself."

The Matrix looks and HK name kinda betrays that it is a cheap AR-18 copy with a bit too much plastic.
    The thing that get me is that the AR-18 seems to be the system that so many of the major newer Western rifles seem to be based on: The G36, The L85, the SCAR, the ACR, CZ 805, and others I'm sure I'm missing. Obviously, some deviate from the design more than others, but overall, they're all based on the 18. The thing is, it doesn't seem like many of them have track records that would rank any of them above "mediocre" (though admittedly, the 805 needs more time). Compare that to rifles based on the AK, such as the SG550 series, FN FNC, RK95, Galil, or the AR, which have excellent track records for ruggedness and reliability. I can't help but wonder, is it the AR18 design, or is that more of a coincidence that has little to do with why those other rifles have had issues.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Thats funny. German SOF carry 41x types, that should be a clue as to how good the G36 is.
    SF

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah but a real AR-180 is badass. I love mine.

The system is sound, I think its how people are redoing it that cause quirks.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    think the axe to grind comes from the reputation of the G36 as being that mysterious German wonder rifle.
    I don't stray into other forums as much any more. I have never thought it was anything other than yet another .223 poodle shooter but I guess people have a lot wrapped up in these debates.

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yeah but a real AR-180 is badass. I love mine.

The system is sound, I think its how people are redoing it that cause quirks.
    Other than being uglier than Hillary Clinton's scrotum, that's what I've heard about the original system. It seems like it's one of those designs in the category of "good but very easy to screw up"...and manufacturers, even good ones, seem to keep screwing it up.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast