Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Hey, it happens that the Kel-Tec RDB is actually a quite nice gun.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    When you're broken down by the side of the road, and the gang of four thinks you're easy meat, would you prefer to have at hand (1) an iron-sight handgun loaded with 17 of the latest FBI approved bullets, or (2) a carbine with red dot that holds 33 rounds of NATO FMJ, and can spit all 33 out in about 10 seconds controllably?
    Not to side track, but I think this comment was more along the lines of - why not 33 of the "latest FBI approved bullets"? Does it not handle hollow points very well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    When you're broken down by the side of the road, and the gang of four thinks you're easy meat, would you prefer to have at hand (1) an iron-sight handgun loaded with 17 of the latest FBI approved bullets, or (2) a carbine with red dot that holds 33 rounds of NATO FMJ, and can spit all 33 out in about 10 seconds controllably?
    If you're going to go that route, why not a AR pistol with 30 rounds of Mk318, Gold Dot, Federal Fusion, or whatever in your flavor/caliber of choice? If you're going to argue "least bad," 9mm FMJ is pretty low on that list for me.
    It's f*****g great, putting holes in people, all the time, and it just puts 'em down mate, they drop like sacks of s**t when they go down with this.
    --British veteran of the Ukraine War, discussing the FN SCAR H.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Rather have a quality single shot with quality ammo over a half ass made firearm with 9mm fmj

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    It's clever, unique, and somewhat poorly executed.
    Yep, looks that way to me too. Amazingly clever and simple design, very promising. They can also be found at retail for $800 or even less, which given their relatively low current production volumes (much less than AR-15s), says something about how easy the gun must be to manufacture.

Improvements I think are needed for a hypothetical next-generation "premium" RDB:

1. Fix the stupid screw loosening problems.

2. Make it REALLY fast and easy to break the gun open to check the chamber. This might be easy, just get rid of the rear hinge pin, replace it with a thumb operated latch of some sort, similar to an AR-18.

3. A front handguard that deflects the barrel is totally uncompetitive today. Redesign to give performance equivalent or better to an AR-15 free-float rail. (Given the current "barrel as spine" design, this might be complicated.)

4. The wonky "rear screw must be 1/8 turn loose" system of attaching the optics rail isn't robust enough. Redesign. (Given the current "barrel as spine" design, this might be complicated.)

5. Install factory streamlined backup iron sites while you're at it. The RDB-S rear sight looks perfect; provide a similar front sight on the front of the rail as well, not the huge wonky thing that occupies the flash-hider threads on the RDB-S.

Btw, I haven't heard any reports of Kel-Tec testing a select-fire RDB, but with its long bolt travel, it would probably shoot very well on full-auto, much better than a stock AR-15/M-16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by atp View Post
    Btw, I haven't heard any reports of Kel-Tec testing a select-fire RDB, but with its long bolt travel, it would probably shoot very well on full-auto, much better than a stock AR-15/M-16.
    There are several reports of doubling and slam-fires, does that count? 😄

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Rather have a quality single shot with quality ammo over a half ass made firearm with 9mm fmj
    Arik, don't....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Why would I choose a 17-round iron-sighted handgun when I can grab a 21-round red dot-sighted handgun? Why would I choose a pistol-caliber carbine that holds 33 rounds of FMJ when I can choose a rifle that hold 18-25 rounds of the latest FBI approved 7.62mm NATO, an SBR that holds 60 rounds of the latest FBI approved 5.56mm NATO, or a big braced pistol that holds 30 rounds of the latest FBI approved 9mm? Why would I choose a pistol-caliber carbine that holds 33 rounds of FMJ when I can choose an SKS that holds 10 rounds of Hornady 7.62x39mm SSTs?
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Hey, it happens that the Kel-Tec RDB is actually a quite nice gun.

Thread drift detected!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112