Thread: Is This "Ding" Normal?

Feedback Score

Is This "Ding" Normal?

Here's a "dinger" on a Remington .223 factory load.

Just curious to know if this particular one is okay to "lock and load" and ready to go boom! This one is a lot more "significant" than the rest of the casings.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can't see the pics, but I fire some pretty deep dents in my hand loads. It just pressure forms the case to the chamber.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The "ding" is in most instances is caused by using too much lube. That is a significant ding and depending on how "hot" the load already was it may or may not be safe to fire.

I have fired cartridges with dings that large in the brass, but those loads were not on the high side of the presure scale.

A good rule of thumb regarding handloading/reloading is: When in doubt pull the bullet and start over. And, if you have to ask if it is safe to shoot, you shouldn't shoot it.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by David Thomas View Post
    The "ding" is in most instances is caused by using too much lube.
    Yeah. If you create a super seal in the die with too much lube, you'll pressure dent the shoulder.

But since we're talking about a mild factory load, I'd err on the side of caution and shoot it!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Yeah. If you create a super seal in the die with too much lube, you'll pressure dent the shoulder.

But since we're talking about a mild factory load, I'd err on the side of caution and shoot it!
    I agree with demigod, who knows how they got there, but since they are factory loads, I would shoot them.
    Maybe they were the first ones to come off and be dumped into those larg crate bins, and others falling on them caused it. At wich point if they can dent the side that much, what would happen if they hit a primer?

Feedback Score
    Points taken. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    . . .if they can dent the side that much, what would happen if they hit a primer?
    Never thought about that aspect, but Hoa Hey Mai!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Factory loads from the same lot #?

After looking closer, it looks like one is seated aprox 1/16 of an inch deeper than the other.

Thus the question: "Are they from the same factory lot #?"

Or did that happen after being chambered? If so then I might think they were not crimped good enough.

Or are these some "Factory new empty brass" that was just sized, primed and loaded by a private party?

It's a mistery!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've read several account over the last year of UMC remington not having a crimp on the caseneck and bullet setback.

The last box I bought (just because I couldn't leave the store without some ammo)... I ran thru my factory crimp die as a precaution.

Feedback Score
    Something told me not to throw the boxes away. . .

Here's what's stoked in my PMag now.

And the rest of them, though not much left

Feedback Score
    Don't know nothing for nothing about loading/reloading, but for some reason or another, I do check each cartouches prior to. Though I wouldn't know what to look for other than them "BIG" dingers and what-not. . .

Guess I should "educate" myself on loading/reloading and more about safe handling and what to look out for regarding ammunitions.