Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unloading for dry fire practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I've chambered a round 1-3 times, when there is visible setback, or when there are visual imperfections on the bullet, case mouth, or rim, I rotate it into training ammo. Some are more prone to setback than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    It helps if you don't rechamber a round from the mag. It increases set back if the round repeatedly slams into the feed ramp. Much better to chamber load the round. Using this method, sometimes I find that the rim will get beat up before bullet setback becomes a concern. Markm pretty much nailed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sol1777 View Post
    Ok. Sounds like I do what the rest of the members do. I chamber feed the round and compare. Its a 40SW and I've had no issues to date, just verifying with your help that I was practicing a safe method. Thanks again
    NO. Don't load the chamber. Load from the magazine.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've usually in the past loaded the chamber. Since I know what happens with the rounds when I do this, I think I'll try loading from the magazine and see if there is a difference. I sure as hell don't want to do any damage to my ejector. I looked around and I didn't see anything on the internet about damaged extractors on a H&K P2000 by loading the chamber. No harm in experimenting. Thanks again for all your opinions
    Last edited by sol1777; 10-19-15 at 15:19.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    RE: just dropping a round into the chamber and dropping the slide: You're not only slamming the extractor over and past the rim, incrementally wearing your extractor/spring.

You're also directly smacking the back of the case with the extractor and breech face, and therefore the bullet, into the chamber. MORE setback, not less...versus the round being guided up a ramp (i.e., more gently...relative term) into the chamber with the case-rim sliding up, behind the extractor claw and in front of the breech face, as is what happens during the normal cycle-of-ops.

Administering chambered rounds: I've found it simplest, for me, to just make the first round I shoot at practice to be my chambered carry round.

I carry Thing1, but practice with Thing2, so the round that was chambered in Thing1 as I walked onto the range is the first round shot through Thing2. It gets chambered a total of 2 times, then is expended.

Upon reloading Thing1 at the end of range-time, I drop that mag and top it off from small stock of carry ammo that stays in the range bag.

Requires no extra tools, no extra time, practically no thought wasted on bullet setback due to having functionally eliminated it as a concern. Added benefit of being a "I'm done with practice (dry or live), back to The Real World" checklist of sorts, if one is into building procedural control measures for things like this.
    Contractor scum, PM Infantry Weapons

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post

Administering chambered rounds: I've found it simplest, for me, to just make the first round I shoot at practice to be my chambered carry round.
    This. Also gives me a little bit of exposure to the way my carry ammo handles every time I go out to train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12