Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Patrol rifle readiness test

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Humor us and throw in atleast a transitional handgun at the 7, deliver 5 rounds and continue the rest of the drill.

Readers must remember that LEOs have a "secondary" weapon to tranisition to. Reloading at the 7 for the hell if it, to me, is a training scar.

Feedback Score
    As for the “C” zone hits. It was a way to measure values of hits. That being said, let’s talk about acceptable accuracy. We will always strive for, and train for, the best accuracy we can obtain…conversely, if a “C” zone hit is the only shot you have and or it effectively drops a subject shouldn’t it be considered acceptable? If you want to wait around for the subject to present himself as an “A” zone target before engaging him, I think your teammates might have something to say about that.
    Not the same thing.

Taking the shot you are presented with is real life application of marksmanship skills.
    Upholding a high accuracy standard in training is a way to ensure proper performance in real life scenarios.
    A C-zone accuracy standard is not really conducive to achieving this.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Further, see Jason Falla's operator Readiness Test. Something like 10 rounds rifle (to empty), transition to pistol, 10'rounds to empty, reload pistol, 2 rounds, reload rifle, 2 rounds.

Do that for time and accuracy from the 7. You'll be smoked. And have a number of good muscle memory reps in.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    OP-Thanks for addressing the comments of the group thoroughly. I'm going to try the drill just because it's something I didn't think of myself. Also, because I'm trying to try new-to-me drills.

Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Further, see Jason Falla's operator Readiness Test. Something like 10 rounds rifle (to empty), transition to pistol, 10'rounds to empty, reload pistol, 2 rounds, reload rifle, 2 rounds.

Do that for time and accuracy from the 7. You'll be smoked. And have a number of good muscle memory reps in.
    I'll have to try this one as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by armortac View Post
    As for my stance… please refer to my opening statement on having the opportunity to obtain a fundamentally sound stance while shooting someone.
    Hey, thanks for replying to everyone. My observation was based on the knowledge that when things go bad solid fundamentals carry you through. Did not know you were the shooter, so wasn't ragging on you.

Feedback Score
    not to obtain some armchair critiques on the drill
    Armchair?

You asked for thoughts in your first post, where you introduced your Patrol Rifle Readiness Test drill.

If you put stuff out there, and ask for thoughts, you will get constructive feedback. No one here was bashing anything, or being impolite or unprofessional.

As for armchairing, some people on here might know a thing or two about shooting and such.
    It's not about surviving, it's about winning!

Feedback Score
    Good drill, we use one that is very similar and I know many other training groups that use something similar. It is a valid drill looking at movement, elevated heart rate performance, starting, stopping, shooting platform, safety manipulation, muzzle awareness, marksmanship, snapping (driving) gun to target quickly, etc. I understand that you were "gaming" it a bit and that is all good, but you should clarify that initially so others don't copy that portion of the drill where they are shooting from a less than ideal platform. Rather stress "planting" or "landing" naturally in a good shooting position as one decelerates and comes to a stop should be a key element of the drill and I am sure you get that, but others may not and they really should not mimic that portion of the video.

I would also concur that the acceptable hit zone is too generous, which generally leads or encourages LE or Mil guys who are hard charging, competitive types to eventually "game" the drill too much to claim bragging rights. Yep, we all do it. Yes if all that we have available or presented to us is the "C zone" area of a target then we might just need to take it, but that will also require greater precision. Now would I take a "C zone" hit if I was shooting for the "A zone" on a full frontal target of opportunity like in the video? Not ideally, but I would take it and hope that the follow up is driving right into the "A zone". The point here is that we might want to keep our acceptable hit zone sizes on the smaller side for training and drills as performance and accuracy standards diminish or get worse under real life kinetic stress. This drill has a full frontal torso that is available to the shooter, so stress the accuracy standard. If you want to stress to take the target area offered or available, then set up targets in a manner to suit those drills.

Again, I am pretty sure you get most if not all of what I said, but the video can leave room for interpretation and others will interpret and may not get the correct information. So as mentioned by others if you put the info out there, it is going to get a critique, accurate or not and based on the video and the conversation in the thread, there was IMO some good / valid feedback given. Also keep in mind that there are indeed many behind the keyboard that may be "armchairing it", but there are some very knowledgeable civilians with valid input. There may also be those who are legit BTDT types with more than enough real life kinetic encounters and are still the ones above ground living and breathing and are able to type on a keyboard.

All in all good to see guys out there pushing the training, much respect for that! Keep on with it and keep educating and motivating the guys / gals on the street to be better!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post

A great drill. We have worked this many times.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Hey, thanks for replying to everyone. My observation was based on the knowledge that when things go bad solid fundamentals carry you through. Did not know you were the shooter, so wasn't ragging on you.
    Lol... Thanks bro. I honestly was just trying to put up a fast time. I definitely know the benefits of a proper shooting stance... Once that enables you to put effective rounds on target.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic1 View Post
    Armchair?

You asked for thoughts in your first post, where you introduced your Patrol Rifle Readiness Test drill.

If you put stuff out there, and ask for thoughts, you will get constructive feedback. No one here was bashing anything, or being impolite or unprofessional.

As for armchairing, some people on here might know a thing or two about shooting and such.
    I get it, and I wasn't trying to bash people either. I really do appreciate the thoughts. I just don't understand the over thinking or uneducated responses from some of the people... Not everyone.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast