Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Containers Ideas/Limits

Feedback Score

Shipping Containers Ideas/Limits

What are the limits that the have?

What CANT you do with them?

What have you seen done with them?

Could you double wall them and fill the space between the walls with gravel? Or would it cave due to the weight?

Any reason why you could not weld a few together and make a cabin out of them?

Any reason why we do not make apartment complexes out of them?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I've seen houses designed and built with shipping containers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is an entire industry making various structures out of shipping containers.
    My suggestion would be to google it since this is a site dedicated to guns.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    My brother in law connected five 45' containers and cut a passage through and filled them with shelves and parts bins for his business. He also lives on the coast and places vehicles in them for protection from hurricanes and storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCumia View Post
    What are the limits that the have?

What CANT you do with them?

What have you seen done with them?

Could you double wall them and fill the space between the walls with gravel? Or would it cave due to the weight?

Any reason why you could not weld a few together and make a cabin out of them?

Any reason why we do not make apartment complexes out of them?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As already mentioned, there is a trend to using them for housing/offices. In Guam, I saw units that were simply roofs ovehead- the people just opened the door and slept in it. In Denmark (maybe it was the Netherlands) there is a whole area of modern, very stylish office pods and mini homes that are popular with the green/reuse/low impact people. I just had coffee in a double stack shop in El Paso. I just deleted the pictures from my phone, but they might still be on my laptop. I was thinking of getting one and making it a motorcycle garage, with a possible second story work shop. If you are hard core mechanic I'm sure you could create an RV with one, or a super 4x4 BOV with some kind surplus miltary flat bed truck.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    This place in Las Vegas adapted them into a shopping mall.

http://downtowncontainerpark.com

Feedback Score
    Can't bury them as-is. Only the four corner castings have vertical structural strength. The roof and walls do not have load bearing capacity.

The coatings can be hazardous so use appropriate respiratory protection when cutting and welding them. Also, the floors may be contaminated by a variety of chemical preservatives. I would want to seal them and cover them if it was living space.

Lots of very cool designs out there! Use your imagination and run wild!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
    Can't bury them as-is. Only the four corner castings have vertical structural strength. The roof and walls do not have load bearing capacity.

The coatings can be hazardous so use appropriate respiratory protection when cutting and welding them. Also, the floors may be contaminated by a variety of chemical preservatives. I would want to seal them and cover them if it was living space.

Lots of very cool designs out there! Use your imagination and run wild!
    Beat me to it, glad someone pointed out the strucural and chemical liabilities.

Also regarding the floor; most are damaged/partially rotted and/or warped from years of hard use. With all that being said if it was to be turned into anything I would spend time in, I would just replace the fooring all together. This addresses any of the conditon issues as well completely removes the contamination factor. I would also reccomend using a spray type/sealing form of insulation. Its cheap, simple, and worth it in the long run.

Feedback Score
    I think I just found a neat work around the ban on new trailer parks....

How nice of a way to create massive profits.

And if not trailer parks, low cost college housing.

Any reason why they would be fire proof?

My friend is build a "Cabin" out of them and I do not see a reason why they would be.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyCumia View Post

Any reason why they would be fire proof?
    The container itself would be pretty fireproof. However it would conduct the heat very quickly to any combustibles inside the container and those would ignite given sufficient heat exposure. There is zero insulation value in a shipping container. Also, the corrugated metal in the sides and top could warp from heat exposure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast