Thread: What .223/5.56X45mm ammo?

Feedback Score

What .223/5.56X45mm ammo?

Hi, i'm getting my first AR15 this weekend and am just wondering what is the best .223/5.56X45mm ammo for plinking? i want ammo that is on the cheaper side but still want reasonable accuracy, accuracy meaning like being able to hit a man sized target out at around 300 meters (the range i go to doesn't go any further). i would just load my own ammo but i don't have any reloading equipment, but am hoping to get some reloading stuff in a few months.

Thanks,
    Michael

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Take your pick atNatchez or AIM.

I'd stay away from anything remanufactured, but depending on your definition of "Man sized" even Wolf ammo should work.

If you're looking for something local vs. ordering online, I know all the Walmarts around here usually have some Remington/UMC 55gr FMJ in a green box for 8 bucks or so. My experience was that it functioned for me alright, though I never shot it for groups.

There's alot of options, if anything it might be easier to find something that you think is a good deal and then ask about it specifically.

Glad to see another Okie around, too!
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd skip WOLF and shoot something that'll allow you to build up your brass collection since you plan to reload.

I think I saved brass for a year before I got a reloading set up.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v