Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9mm 147 grain duty / Glock 17

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by snakyjake View Post
    Did you take a look at the physics why they can achieve fantastic results?
    It's snake oil - no respectable department would run such ammo. Hell the only 115gr that gets any respect these days is the all copper Barnes X bullet.

OP, your department can contact the FBI's DSU on official letterhead or email and they will send you all their test results.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

OP, your department can contact the FBI's DSU on official letterhead or email and they will send you all their test results.
    I believe we have it. A captain who is also in charge of our SWAT team recently graduated from the FBI academy and he brought back a lot of ballistic data. We have chosen two duty rounds when we start the process, one being easier to get and the other make take a while based on our silly city wide purchasing processes.

They are Gold Dot and HST 147.

Gold Dot is much easier to obtain and it will get the ball rolling as far as having duty ammo in the first batch of G17s.

The second order I will place will be HST and since that ammo is on the buy board process, and I will not hold my breath for that order to arrive.

Overall, I just wanted some opinions as to bullet weights on training rounds at police training distances with 147 hp as our duty round.

I found 147 tmj to be close in price compared to other lighter weight offerings, so I just order 147 practice this time.

Thanks for all the info. Much appreciated!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Modern 147gr LE ammunition (Ranger T, HST, Gold Dot) has a proven track record on the street. LA Sheriff's Office has been using 147gr Ranger T in their 9mm duty guns for a long time and continue to use it in their new M&P9's. They shoot a lot of bad guys with it and achieve "fantastic results".

Feedback Score
    I have not seen a 90 gr 9mm round that will provide adequate penetration, or acceptable barrier performance. The latter being critical for LEO. I'm not saying none exist I just haven't seen them. The physics is in favor of heavier rounds, generally.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12