Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sniper weapon for Army?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You have to remember that there is about $2K worth of paperwork and stuff that goes along with stuff shipped to the military...
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    They should just get it over with and buy the AWSM.

Feedback Score

Exclamation back in the day

back in the day we had a GS-30 come out to check our coffee maker every week. i think it cost the DOD about $20k a year just to keep the coffee maker's paperwork up to date!--now on the base we had hundreds of coffee makers!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by royalroadie View Post
    It sounds like they are discribing a rem 700 PSS that has be properly bedded , tuned and a good trigger. You can build one for about 1500 and add an 8x25 Leopold for an other 1100 and you have it done. I have one that will shoot .3 MOA. I just don't understand all the BS. Yes there are some fancier stocks but if the gun is set up correctly I will put the PSS up against their $5000 extra gun and I bet they will shoot the same.
    But will they still shoot the same after being dropped out of an airplane and having someone use it for a landing pad?

Feedback Score
    If they switch there should a bunch of .308 ammo in the surplus pipeline .
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Yeah, there's just no reason to be paying $6700 for an M24. I don't give a damn what glass, stock, bbl, etc it's got... That's BS and everyone knows it.
    At that price, they shouldn't need a qualified live sniper to run them.
    God only knows what the Barrett .50 cal is costing us...

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Paul,

The last time I heard the Barrett package was costing about the same as the Knights Armament. The Barrett .50 is an awesome rifle and worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Back in 1990 when Ronnie came to Ft. Benning to do a demo and let guys shoot the rifle cost approx. 5750.00 dollars. Considering that was 18 years ago the price increase isn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    Yeah, there's just no reason to be paying $6700 for an M24. I don't give a damn what glass, stock, bbl, etc it's got... That's BS and everyone knows it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cataldo View Post
    "Standard M24s cost about $6,700, he added."

The Army does not buy just the rifle and scope. I would actually like to see the price a civilian would pay for what the Army buys. Having had some trigger time on the M24 SWS (the last S is for System), let me give you an idea of what comes in the system:
    Hardigg system case
    Leupold MKIV M3A 10x40mm day optic (commercially unavailable)
    Leupold MKiV one piece base and rings
    M24 rifle
    cleaning accessories
    Seekonk 65 in lb torque wrench
    Allen keys for every screw on the gun
    Turner Saddelry sling
    BUIS for the M24
    Pelican hard case for the "deployment kit" (holds spare parts you may need on mission)
    Assorted spare parts (spare followers and springs, screws, etc.)
    Repairs contract with Remington (if the Sniper is unable to make the repair to the system, it goes back to Remington for the work)
    This is just what I can remember off the top of my head, I do know there's more and it'd also be interesting to know if the Sniper Accessory Kit is included in the cost which includes things like some Eagle Industries products (drag bag, etc.), Mil Dot Master, wind guage, etc.

When you look at how much the Army pays for M4s, do you honestly think that they pay that much for a bolt gun?

But if the Army switches to a longer range bolt gun, my vote is for the AI AWSM in .338LM. As much as I loved my time on the M24, the AI is a superior rifle and .338LM gives the shooter the capacity to reach out to 1600m--which would be nice in countries like say for instance, Afghanistan, where engagement distances like that are not at all uncommon. (Well that and AI would have to open a plant in the US--so cheaper AI's for everyone!)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    AI -- Accuracy Unintentional...

Way better .338LM guns exist.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Manager, Federal Sales
    FN America, LLC
    Office: 703.288.3500 x181 | Mobile: 407-451-4544 | Fax: 703.288.4505
    www.fnhusa.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    AI -- Accuracy Unintentional...

Way better .338LM guns exist.
    Like PGW?

I don't get the .300 Win Mag thing really. Barrel life sucks and you don't gain as much over .308 as you would with the .338.
    "So have your buddy get a box of stray cats and try to get a good sight picture while he is throwing the cats at you... naked." - KLD

Get yours news at Presscheck.org!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast