Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Sniper weapon for Army?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There's plenty of great .338 LM rifles out there. My favorite, probably the Dakota Longbow tactical... although I haven't had the honor to fire one.
    I have however spent some significant range time behind an Armalite AR30 in .338 LM, and it was spectacular. The rifles muzzle brake really tames down that beast, makes recoil feel about like a 12 Ga. 2.75" 00 Buck load.. using handloads, we shot .20 MOA groups with it, all the way to 850m (max distance at this range).. We also shot many many different targets, from a 55 gallon metal barrel filled w/ water, to an old small block Chevy V8 engine... when that round hits it's target... the words "decimate" and "obliterate" don't really do it justice lol.
    For personal use, I'd take a .338 Lapua over a .50 BMG any day... perfect combination between weight and power... would make an excellent African hunting round as well.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMacGillie View Post

Some snipers have said they want to be trained so they can fix their M110s themselves. Army officials maintain that snipers are trained to make small fixes such as replacing the firing pin or extractor, but any major fixes on the M110 have to be done at the unit armor level or at Knight’s Armament, Audette said.

DELETED EXPLETIVE a 10 year old could change a firing pin blindfolded
    Last edited by yrac; 10-08-08 at 17:16. Reason: Let's ease up a touch on the language.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Caeser25 View Post
    HORSESHIT a 10 year old could change a firing pin blindfolded
    I believe the quote from the article indicates that snipers are able to replace firing pins, correct?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by yrac View Post
    I believe the quote from the article indicates that snipers are able to replace firing pins, correct?
    Bumping this back up since ive not been around for awhile, and to address a couple of Mk11Mod1/M110 issues

Graduates of one of the USSOCOM sponsored armorers courses are allowed to change a good many parts. Replace gas rings, firing pin, check for drilled vs milled exejector holes. It seems that the bad batch of bolts is finally totally out of the system.

One major change is that there are no longer any adjustments or changes to the less than steller triggers allowed until an agreed upon fix is published. The very high failure rate of the trigger has gotten the attention of everyone involved
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Had an AR30 .338 Lapua Mag. Light weight, inexpensive and pretty simple. Hadn't even broke in the barrel. Shot only about 10 rds and the gun was shooting 1/2 minute +. The justification of 7.62 NATO doesn't make much sense. The only weapons shooting 7.62mm are M240's and M14's. The Sniper would have to be desperate to shoot M80 7.62 ball.
    Last edited by Cagemonkey; 11-12-08 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagemonkey View Post
    Had an AR30 .338 Lapua Mag. Light weight, inexpensive and pretty simple. Hadn't even broke in the barrel. Shot only about 10 rds and the gun was shooting 1/2 minute +. The justification of 7.62 NATO doesn't make much sense. The only weapons shooting 7.62mm are M240's and M14's. The Sniper would have to be desperate to shoot M80 7.62 ball.
    Como Que?

Anyway most Snipers I know shoot M80 ball on a regular basis just so they have a baseline on POI shift for that ammo type. They also shoot M118, M852 and M62, but feed their SWS a steady diet of M118LR.

Im handing out both hard and PDF copies of the most recent JAG ruling on OTM rounds, but given that it was only a couple years ago that folks were temporarly stripped of their M118LR, it is a possiblity that some off the Reservation JAG Officer could try and make policy again.
    Life is too short to deal with Blonde women, or carbine barrels over 10.5 inches

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeMacGillie View Post
    “It’s a whole lot easier to hit a target between 800 and 1,200 meters with a .300 Win Mag,” he said, describing the round’s flat trajectory and reduced resistance to wind.
    Mistake or true? I don't know much about the .300 Win mag, but this stood out to me.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    They shoot a high BC 190 grain bullet, so it has less drift.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by telecustom View Post
    We just had a warning about our M110s. We were told to shelve ours because they have been exploding at around 100rds of total round count. This is a no shit warning. I will post the actual document when I get to work on Monday.
    Could you send me that warning? I talked with Bob and several of our snipers and the Armement Tech for one of their BDEs last month while they were checking out the triggers on our weapons. I believe all on those rifles had shot well more then 100 rounds.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

SNAFU

Gentlemen, the US Army is getting EXACTLY what it asked for and specified -- no more, no less.

The XM-110 was NOT specified by the US Army's snipers -- the specs were written by a Picatinny Arsenal contractor working for the Infantry Directorate of Combat Developments Small Arms Division. During the requirements staffing phase they did NOT add in the comments of the US Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center and School nor the Army Marksmanship Unit.

DCD specified the XM-110 would REPLACE the M24 on a 1-for-1 basis, NOT augment.

There was no plan to retain nor re-barrel the M24.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast