Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Link to Lucky Gunner short barrel, ballistic gel tests .380, 9mm, .40, .45

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FishTaco View Post
    Very interesting. The Hornady 175gr critical duty rounds in .40 acted like FMJ's and overpenetrated dramatically with 0 expansion. In fact, they look unfired in the photos. I have about 80 rounds of this. As someone asked, why not use the standard medium?

Waste of time.
    Actually, they only overpenetrated slightly. The bullets tumbled, and ended up backwards, 20" into the gel. That's actually much better than the MANY bullets that didn't expand or tumble, and went 30". Your Critical Duty is a BB round, and will tend to over-penetrate, but never under-penetrate. That's great, and why I carry CD in my 9mm PPS.

Check out the vaunted 165gr Speer Gold Dot - no expansion, and almost 30" of penetration. I have hundred of rounds of that for my XD-M. Why am I not worried?

1) Underpenetration is the least bad of all failure modes.
    2) It was tested with a Glock 27 with 3.4" barrel, but designed for duty guns with 4.5" barrels. That extra velocity will probably result in reliable expansion.

Also, I really like seeing testing in alternate media. Human targets are messy, and while the FBI standard is a wonderful thing to have, seeing bullets perform (or not) in different environments is good data. People want a simple test to say a bullet is good or bad, but it's just not a simple science.

Feedback Score
    I guess that makes sense. The gun I have for these is a 4.7" P250 so I should get a good bump in velocity. Did you mean OVERpenetration is the least bad of all failure modes?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12