Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Stoner AR Operating System Technical Detail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    So you took elements from two systems, flipped them around to support your argument, and came up with a really bad design for a gas system? Got it.
    What part of humor me for a moment do you not understand. You obviously understand the drawing, so why not just tell me which one is the piston?

Feedback Score
    Last edited by thx997303; 10-22-15 at 14:55.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If this is a discussion of labelling, tradition, and ease instead of technical terms, perhaps it's more suited to AR General Discussion rather than Technical.

Or maybe that's the whole cause of argument. Everyone (besides hans) realizes that an AK, AR15, and whatever DI gun operate in the same way. Gas is routed from the barrel into a piston which causes the bolt/carrier to move rearward, a case ejects, the spring pushes the bolt/carrier forward and chambers a new round.

The traditional "piston" guns refer actually to the location of the piston above or below the gas port of the barrel and a rod between that piston and bolt to mechanically transfer the energy in the case of a "short stroke", or an extension of the bolt carrier itself as in a "long stroke". Using a gas tube to move that interaction further back has been traditionally called "di", though not often technically correct as pointed out earlier. But that's the terminology someone chose. Stoner's system breaks with traditional DI systems by moving the piston again.

For technical purposes, it's just as wrong to call it DI as Piston, as the key definition, the location of the gas expansion chamber, is different.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    What part of humor me for a moment do you not understand. You obviously understand the drawing, so why not just tell me which one is the piston?
    So, you want me to aid your argument? Can't you make your argument on your own?

I'm going to say that based on your previous arguments, in that picture, there are male pistons and female pistons and stationary pistons and cylinders and who knows what else.

We're discussing existing, working designs. Not your little paint drawing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thx997303 View Post
    So, you want me to aid your argument? Can't you make your argument on your own?

I'm going to say that based on your previous arguments, in that picture, there are male pistons and female pistons and stationary pistons and cylinders and who knows what else.

We're discussing existing, working designs. Not your little paint drawing.
    I'm just trying to demonstrate the absurdity of calling the bolt a piston. What I was trying to demonstrate is that the situation with the AR is no different than the way the adam's arms piston works. But you knew that already, which is why you won't just answer the freaking question.

876.jpg

Feedback Score
    I'm just trying to demonstrate the absurdity of calling the bolt a piston. What I was trying to demonstrate is that the situation with the AR is no different than the way the adam's arms piston works. But you knew that already, which is why you won't just answer the freaking question.

876.jpg
    Are you saying a part cannot have two functions?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    Are you saying a part cannot have two functions?
    No. I already said it has two functions. It's a bolt, and for a brief moment it doubles as a gas plug. At no time does it behave like a piston. It looks like a piston, but it sure as hell doesn't behave like one.

Feedback Score
    No. I already said it has two functions. It's a bolt, and for a brief moment it doubles as a gas plug. At no time does it behave like a piston. It looks like a piston, but it sure as hell doesn't behave like one.
    It behaves exactly like an AR180's piston.

It stays stationary while a closed off round thing slides away from it.

or this piston (if you hold the shaft still and let the black part move):

Last edited by lysander; 10-22-15 at 16:24. Reason: added initial quote

Feedback Score
    di piston.jpg
    876.jpg

I'm sure everyone sees my point, even if they're not willing to admit it...

If you call the bolt in an AR a piston, then you would have to call the adam's arms gas block a piston. As it relates to our discussion, the bolt in the AR serves no more of a purpose than the gas plug in the adam's arms gas block. In terms of unlocking itself, all it does is seal the carrier pocket. Put a few gas rings on the adam's arms gas block, and it's the EXACT same mechanical scenario.

Feedback Score
    di piston.jpg
    876.jpg

I'm sure everyone sees my point, even if they're not willing to admit it...

If you call the bolt in an AR a piston, then you would have to call the adam's arms gas block a piston. As it relates to our discussion, the bolt in the AR serves no more of a purpose than the gas plug in the adam's arms gas block. In terms of unlocking itself, all it does is seal the carrier pocket. Put a few gas rings on the adam's arms gas block, and it's the EXACT same mechanical scenario.
    Uhhh...

The plug thingy in an Adams Arms Piston system is the piston, it is just also a plug that blocks that big hole in the gas block....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast