Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a M1a

Feedback Score

Talk me out of a M1a

Here goes. I want an M1a. Why shouldn't I do it? Good luck...

Feedback Score
    No reason not to have one.
    If you are good at basic gun smithing you can make them very accurate.
    Had a SA loaded bought years ago and did all the accurizing modifications to it myself which took a lot of time, but I like it.
    Out of the box with Federal GMM was a 1.5" rifle at 100yds.
    After modifications was a .4-.6" rifle at 100yds.
    The factory irons are great.
    Installing a good mount and scope works very well also.

Go for it and enjoy.

Clarence
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Get one

which one are you pining for?

Feedback Score
    Just a standard with composite stock. How much work is involved in shortening the barrel? I have access to a full blown machine shop.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I was given a "SOCOM" a while back. Threw a PRO on the barrel mounted rail and installed the Fulton Armory polymer cheek riser.

Factory front sight was way too tall. Talking 5 inch low POI @ 50 yards tall. Springfield paid shipping both ways and replaced the tritium vialed front sight for free.

It bangs everything I feed it. Its 'sloppy' action shrugs off gunk and keeps going.

There is a mystic around M1A's. I've ran it in a couple local carbine matches. I enjoyed overhearing the "That cat's running a M1A!" whispers.

All that said, had I been given a handful of cash instead of the rifle I would have never bought one. I would have never known how great they are.

As long as you understand nothing is inexpensive for them (upgrade wise) going in, you'll be good.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 10-23-15 at 18:22.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you want one, there is little reason not to get one. Sometimes you have to stopping giving a damn about practical and just get something fun.
    I always find myself crossed, between a standard with a wood stock as a range rifle, because it is just sexy, a Scout to work over(But lets be honest, there are better options for what I would want to do with it), or a Socom(Because they are neat though the Socom II is a pig, or at least the ones I've handled are). While the Socom is neat, one thing that is worth pointing out, and may, or not matter to you, is that Socom does have some parts in regards to the gas system that are non standard, while the Scout I believe has a standard gas system. Again may or may not matter to you.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I believe you're right about the Scout.

I know for a fact that the SOCOM runs a unique muzzle device thread pitch and a unique muzzle device to aid in reliability due to decreased dwell time.

There are companies that make thread adapters so that a SOCOM can run standard M1A muzzle devices.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I believe you're right about the Scout.

I know for a fact that the SOCOM runs a unique muzzle device thread pitch and a unique muzzle device to aid in reliability due to decreased dwell time.

There are companies that make thread adapters so that a SOCOM can run standard M1A muzzle devices.
    I thought the MD on there was only for recoil/control? Didn't know it was to aid in function by adding back pressure. Wouldn't surprise me. I haven't read anything on them in years.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    From a practical standpoint, I ran a SCAR for a short time that was probably the best current answer for a "battle rifle" I've messed with so far. I also ran a 18" DSA Austrian FAL I liked quite a bit that I'd also rate as more practical than an M1A. But the M1A Scout I had has probably been the most enjoyable rifle I've ever owned in 308. I'd love to own another one day. Curse this thread! I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed that rifle!

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    I thought the MD on there was only for recoil/control? Didn't know it was to aid in function by adding back pressure. Wouldn't surprise me. I haven't read anything on them in years.
    I may be wrong but that's how I understand it. I will measure when I get home but, I believe it is less than 2 inches from gas port to MD.

I've read about people using the thread adapters and running a standard FH. They didn't claim to have any reliability issues.

ETA:
    2.25 inches from gas port to barrel crown. Around 3.5 inches total from gas port to end of MD.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 10-24-15 at 01:59.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast