Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting lower receiver

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Cutting lower receiver

Has anyone ever tried cutting their lower receiver magwell sections to shave weight or make it more personal?

I got the idea from battle arms developments lower receiver. I am going to cerakote mine in the near future and thought this might be a good time to try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    uploadfromtaptalk1445649387009.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Not for me but, to each his own. Best choice for destroying...AHEM...I mean modifying your lower would be using a mill. I imagine a person would also want to get a full sized 80% lower jig.

You could install one side plate of jig so lower would sit flat then mill away.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Not for me but, to each his own. Best choice for destroying...AHEM...I mean modifying your lower would be using a mill. I imagine a person would also want to get a full sized 80% lower jig.

You could install one side plate of jig so lower would sit flat then mill away.
    I suppose this is a good idea if one were inclined.

Personally, if I am looking to shave weight, I'd be looking at changing the stock, barrel, handguard/rail system, or optic set up long before grinding on a lower. The weight savings just aren't worth it to me.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    I guess you could get a cheap $50 lower and experiment with it. The trick is figuring out what areas won't affect the long-term structural integrity of the lower. There's a good chance you'll see cracks in weird places when you put a "statistically significant" number of rounds through it after removing material.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    I guess you could get a cheap $50 lower and experiment with it. The trick is figuring out what areas won't affect the long-term structural integrity of the lower. There's a good chance you'll see cracks in weird places when you put a "statistically significant" number of rounds through it after removing material.
    How so? The lower takes almost no stress whatsoever and there are a few companies that offer "skeletonized" lowers already.

Even the shitty plastic lowers never cracked at the magwell.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If done properly you probably wont have any issues... But if homebrewed i'd bet you'd see some issues...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by azoutdoorsman View Post
    How so? The lower takes almost no stress whatsoever and there are a few companies that offer "skeletonized" lowers already.

Even the shitty plastic lowers never cracked at the magwell.
    Well lowers do experience some stress during shooting, which is why a lot of shitty plastic lowers broke right before the receiver extension. When you're firing an AR rapidly, switching positions, running, bumping into things, dropping the gun, etc, there are stresses placed on the rifle that can easily affect the lower. If you're removing material in the wrong areas, there's a good chance you might weaken it where it needs to be strong thus inducing failure at areas we don't often see. I'm not saying it will explode, or even become inoperative, just that you might see more wear and cracks ahead of schedule.

Feedback Score
    It will still be heavy compared to what is offered on the market as a lightweight solution.

Ryan
    Founder and co-owner/operator at 2A-Armament

Feedback Score
    An entire stripped lower weighs 8-1/2 ounces. How much weight can you possibly save by cutting off a corner of the magwell? My guess is that you would be measuring it in grains and not ounces. Lots of places to save that tiny amount of weight without hacking up your receiver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast