Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to shoot Part 1, 2

Feedback Score
    Another thanks to you Grant. I will be watching this one close.
    ~D

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Your weight should be on the balls of your feet with your front knee slightly bent. Your front foot should also be pointing in the general direction of the target.
    if you are into martial arts, you will appreciate. I actually have both knees bent and both feet facing front like shown on the picture. One thing I didn't have to learn when taking my first gun class.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Grant,

Those pants make your butt look saggy.
    LOL, well thanks, but that is not me in those pics.

C4

Feedback Score
    Thank you Grant... look forward to anything you post!

Feedback Score
    TAG!!

ToddG Guest
    If the staff wants, I'm happy to put something together. I'm rather limited in my ability to get pics on the range, though, since my normal range doesn't allow photos and my backyard doesn't allow guns (scares the neighbors, cops arrive, no one has a sense of humor, blah blah blah).

We shouldn't clutter up Grant's thread (and great idea) with the discussion, though.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)

PART 2

So we have covered AR's (stance and cheek weld). Now its time to cover stance and grip for pistols.

Most people shoot an AR pretty well from day one as it is very easy to do. Pistol shooting on the other hand is another story. This is where we see FAR more mistakes (especially in the grip). For whatever reason people seem to like to hold the weapon very low.

Since there are so many different pistols out there, we chose one platform to keep things easy. The 1911 is one of my favorite handguns and is one of the more popular handguns made today.

Pistol Stance

There are many popular pistol stances, but I am going to stick with what Ken Hackathorn, Larry Vickers and Pat Rogers teach. I have found this to work well for me and many other shooters.
    If you are a right handed shooter, your left foot will be ahead of your right foot, with both of them pointing at the target. As a general rule, your right foot toes will line up somewhere around your left heel. Your feet will be about shoulders width apart and with your knees slightly bent. Your weight will be on the balls of your feet.

Shooter is square with weight on heels.

Shooter's feet are offset with knees slightly bent

Pistol Grip

The biggest mistake that 1911 shooters make is that they tend to put their thumb below the safety. Your thumb belongs on TOP of the safety. Fix this one issue, you and will be increase the controllability of the weapon considerably.

Shooter's Grip is too low

Shooter's left index finger is on the trigger guard (Martin Riggs "grip").

Shooter's left hand is holding his right wrist (TJ Hooker "grip").

Shooter's left hand is holding the magwell (Cup and saucer "grip")

Shooter's right thumb is on top of the safety and has a high grasp of the pistol with his left hand.

Special thanks to Nate of NVB Gear and Adam for assisting me with this.

Feedback Score
    Glad one of the pictures worked out. I take it the plastic pistol looked too much like a pop-gun to use

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If the staff wants, I'm happy to put something together. I'm rather limited in my ability to get pics on the range, though, since my normal range doesn't allow photos and my backyard doesn't allow guns (scares the neighbors, cops arrive, no one has a sense of humor, blah blah blah).

We shouldn't clutter up Grant's thread (and great idea) with the discussion, though.
    We can possibly work on this a little this weekend with my buddy Jack behind the camera.

Keep up the great thread Grant.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    We can possibly work on this a little this weekend with my buddy Jack behind the camera.

Keep up the great thread Grant.

Thanks. Its not the most technical thread, but gives people a general idea. I have already had people tell me "oh I do that and didn't know it was wrong."

C4

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast