Thread: My Vacation

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

My Vacation

GUADALUPE MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK - TEXAS

Day 1 – Travel, Setup and Devil’s Hall Trail

I got an early start on Columbus Day, destination Pine Springs Camp Site - Guadalupe Mountains National Park. After miles and miles of Texas I made it to Van Horn on I10. I stopped one last time to fill up for the final 65 miles north on TX-54; the final 10 merging with US-62 E. The first thing that struck me was how gorgeous the drive was leaving Van Horn heading towards the mountains. I was awed at Texas' beauty. With curves and quick dips, the two lane blacktop flows into the Guadalupe Mountain Range with impressive climbs and “wooo!”-inducing descents. I remember thinking that everybody raved about the park but no one said anything about the fun drive up.

Upon park arrival I checked in at the Visitor’s Center 13:40. I grabbed a park map and a day hike guide. I also paid my camp site and park entrance fee (they do take cash or credit). Be advised to change your watch to Mountain Time zone which is an hour behind CST. Some phones may have trouble detecting time (a few people I met mentioned this). The time zone line is cutting right through the park area so, have a stable clock or be confused the entire trip, like me and the other park goers lol Before leaving the VC I met a group of three from Houston. We chit chatted friendlies and parted ways. I turned my phone off. It was my vacation after all.

A quick drive to the tent site area, I picked one and setup right away. I walked my registration envelope to the drop box (which is near the trail head) and bumped into the Houston party getting ready to embark on Devil’s Hall Trail. They were chipper and ready to not work too hard on their hike – perfect vacation right? It was closing in on 14:00 and I planned to do a short hike to stretch my legs. Since I was hungry for lunch I returned to my site, organized my stuff and prepped a meal. With that put away I grabbed my pack and headed out for Devil’s Hall at 14:45.

Devil’s Hall is rated as a moderate ~3.8mi trek taking ~2.5hrs along the Pine Spring Canyon. I took the bank trail for the first mile which was relatively uneventful and easy, then it dropped into the wash. I ran into the Houston party, they were asking where the trail was and in none too good a mood. They had jumped off the bank trail into the wash before the trail marker (which isn’t wrong, but does make for a slightly longer hike). I told the guy my GPS had us tracked at a mile and Devil’s Hall was further in close to 2. He got irritated and insisted it couldn’t be “this way” but that they had already walked all the way from “that way”. I’m not a master map reader or anything, but when a destination located in the river canyon that only goes “this way” or “that way” and you’ve already covered “that way”, process of elimination says keep going “this way”. I told the guy I believe we need to keep going further up. He didn’t agree. Well ok, no skin off my back. He and the other two scampered up the bank trail. I pulled out my map from my pocket, looked at the markers, looked at my GPS and kept trucking. I never did see those three again. Hope their day got better. I would have thought the day sucked if I worked hard and didn’t get to the reward of the finish.

Now in the wash is where it got challenging scrambling boulders and stepping on river rock. Didn’t see much wildlife except birds and lizards. Then a Tarantula and I scared each other walking over the same rock. I quickly scampered imagining it would launch at my face at any second. He wasn’t real fond of me either. He stopped, backed up and took a suspicious-of-the-human stance. I grabbed my camera, zoomed way in and got as good a shot as I could without getting closer. I snapped the picture and took off. I ran into three other hikers coming down, we exchanged pleasantries and they confirmed it is gorgeous up there, but to hurry, we’re losing daylight. So I hustled.

I finally rounded the bend after what seemed like a lot of climbing over boulders. My legs were getting gassed. The bend in the canyon signals the Staircase is close. When you start seeing the shale you’ll anticipate the final stretch. I was happy. And I was impressed at the size of the Staircase when I finally laid eyes on it. It is much taller in real life than the online photos make it out to be. I climbed up on all fours – well in my case, all threes, up the right side of the form. It is somewhat steep so I made certain to keep my weight forward. Be careful making the top, there is a small pool on the left side that is filled with green water. No idea how deep it is. I discovered it as popped over the top. To get around I had to walk along this narrow ledge against the right side wall. I kinda felt like Indiana Jones but without the hat. A short walk through a shale hallway and some more boulders and there it is, Devil’s Hall. I had the place to myself. It was beautiful.

Staircase

Devil's Hall

I didn’t spend much time in Devil’s Hall, long enough to get photos, reflect a bit on the day’s journey and enjoy a pack of raisins and some water. I was quickly losing daylight in the canyon. While I had my headlamp and flashlight, I didn’t want to get caught in there in the dark. I began the return trip.

First obstacle, getting down that Staircase that I just mountain-goated my way up. When you’re one-armed like me, the climbing down is a little tougher when falling off is not an option. I didn’t take the same route down, rather scooted to the left of where I climbed up. It curved around to a broader ledge where I backed down nice ‘n easy. With that out of the way it was literally all downhill. Once I made it out of the wash and onto the bank trail it was a quick hike back. Plus there was more daylight. Popping off the trailhead and back to my camp site I refilled all my water, got dinner and was in for the night.

After an early start, a long drive and quick setup, the Devil’s Hall Trail was just the right amount of hike to get a taste of what laid ahead.

END PART 1, CONT...
    Last edited by Shorts; 10-30-15 at 09:29.