Enchanted Rock State National Area
http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/enchanted-rock

Last week I had the pleasure of making a quick overnight trip to Enchanted Rock. The drive out was gorgeous both in scenery and weather. I was excited to be heading out after being cooped up by the seemingly endless month of thunderstorms. Apologies for no photo of the park entrance sign. I was caught up driving the spirited road in and I completely forgot...nevermind I about powerslid into the driveway...

I checked in at the front station about 320pm then headed to my site to scope it out. After a satisfactory look, I grabbed my pack out of the truck and hit the trail right away. I started later than anticipated but the trails aren't long. I only needed to beat sundown in order to set up camp.

I started on the Loop trail on the SW side of the park. It is a crushed granite trail and a little incline.

I hit this scenic overlook just past 1mi. It was nice to get the pack off and get some cool air on my back. It was too beautiful out there. Here's where I finally got my mind settled that I was relaxing and I could slow into that slow mode. After admiring the land before me I picked up my pack and got moving again.

Two tenths downt I came to the Walnut Springs Primitive camping area. I took a minute to pit stop in the facility from all the hydrating then continued on to the Echo Canyon Trail. It would be the trail I'd take to summit Enchanted Rock.

There was a desentized-to-humans squirrel that hopped up the trail ahead of me. He refused to pull over and let me pass him up. And when he finally scampered up a downed tree I thought he was going to mug me for my trail mix. Wouldn't that be fitting? Finally get out for some fresh air and I get some kind squirrel flu from a random act of violence.

Once I got past him I came up to Moss Lake I took a few minutes to sit in the shade. Along that trail is the Moss Lake Primitive camping area.

I went up a little ways and sat on the rolling rock looking up at the west face of the Rock. I also grabbed some jerky and trail mix. I was hungry at this point. The Chik-Fil-A sandwich I had for lunch had worn off. I still had to summit, get down, set up camp before I'd be getting dinner. No need for hangry.

Getting moving again I continued on Echo Canyon trail until it intersected with Turkey Pass trail. Turkey Pass is the trail that runs along the W/NW/N base of Enchanted Rock. It was here that "canyon trail" became more fitting of a name.