Thread: Muzzle brake timing just a tad off

Feedback Score

Muzzle brake timing just a tad off

Put on on a new Silencerco specwar brake on a 16in DD. I tried every crush washer
    combo and finally got it close to clocked as I think I could get it. It's still only about
    4-5 degrees off. You have to look straight down it to really even notice. I'm
    guessing the only issue I would have is an aesthetic one and my OCD driving me
    crazy. Any issue I'm likely to run into that I may not be aware of? Thanks guys.
    Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.
    C. S. Lewis

Yes I even own the Magpul iPhone cover. Wanna make something of it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I usually cant my brakes a little to the right. Close is good enough.

Crush washers are usually a can't miss application. The only problem is if you go past 12:00 on your last 90-degeee turn. If you do, you can usually go around again. Although, crush washers are pretty cheap. Not sure what you mean by "crush washer combo".

Last edited by Hmac; 10-31-15 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I quit using crush washers. A set of shims and Rocksett allows for perfect alignment. Holds up to the use of a suppressor as well.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    By combo just meant tried different ones of various thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I usually cant my brakes a little to the right. Close is good enough.

Crush washers are usually a can't miss application. The only problem is if you go past 12:00 on your last 90-degeee turn. If you do, you can usually go around again. Although, crush washers are pretty cheap. Not sure what you mean by "crush washer combo".

C. S. Lewis

Feedback Score
    And actually I lied. I used the metal shims that came with the brake.
    I still wasn't able to get it exact. But I think it's close enough.
    C. S. Lewis

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Yeah, shims are a PITA. I never use 'em...only crush washers for brakes and other no-suppressor muzzle devices. IMHO, Rocksett is completely unnecessary for a brake and only adds to the PITA factor. A muzzle device ought to be a 30-second install.

Anyway, 4-5 degrees off is nothing. Might even be desirable if it's off to the right. I'd leave it.

Feedback Score
    I have had the same issues with my shimmed brakes. I think it may shift your zero compared to being completely level, but I have noticed no performance issues.

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    I had that problem with my Trifecta brake. I had to get a second shim kit to get it to time properly at the correct torque.