Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Cryptic Coatings/Toolcraft BCG

Feedback Score

Thoughts on Cryptic Coatings/Toolcraft BCG

Hey all. Long time lurker, seldom poster.

Always been a standard phosphate BCG guy, love my BCM's. Came across the cryptic coatings BCG which is a Toolcraft with PVD/CVD coating a year or so ago, I'm sure most of you have run across it in your web travels. Anyways, the magic stuff usually doesn't appeal to me. However, this BCG beginning as a Toolcraft and the claims on added durability/slickness have me wanting more info. I figured a year ish into their production, if it was really that good, that shooters would be talking more about it. Other than a TTAG review, and another post on WeaponEvolution there isn't much out there.

Anyone given one a try or have an opinion?

This isn't a general "coated BCG" thread (of which most are wasted money). I'd just like to know more about, or discuss this specific BCG.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    I probably have more rounds through the Black Mystic than anyone on the forum. I have over 25k through one and I am a believer. It just works. I have never had a coating/treatment live up to the hype like the Cryptic BCG. Carbon scrapes off with your fingernail, there is little wear especially when considering the amount of rounds fired.

I'll post up a better review and pictures up tomorrow.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    I have one of the Mystic Silver bolts, all the mil-spec bases being covered. It is currently a spare so I can't vouch for it's durability or ease of cleaning. Sure looks purty though!

Just looked at Cryptic Coatings website and it doesn't look like they sell the coated bolts by themselves now (bought mine earlier this year). They do sell one that looks to be phosphated though.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    The coating is akin to the gold-colored coating put on drills to keep them sharp longer.

Although, I would like to know how a coating on the bolt and bolt carrier is going to: "lower operating temperatures"....The temperatures the BCG are going to be governed mostly by the gas temperature. Cycle the bolt by hand a few times, how hot does it get? Friction generated heat is pretty negligible.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    They do sell one that looks to be phosphated though.
    It is just mil-spec phosphate coated, and priced accordingly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The coating is akin to the gold-colored coating put on drills to keep them sharp longer.

Although, I would like to know how a coating on the bolt and bolt carrier is going to: "lower operating temperatures"....The temperatures the BCG are going to be governed mostly by the gas temperature. Cycle the bolt by hand a few times, how hot does it get? Friction generated heat is pretty negligible.
    Just by decreasing friction. If I get a minute later I'll pull up a video that demonstrates this with thermal and NiB and chrome vs. phosphate. It's pretty minimal but it is there.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for chiming in all. Viper, I had seen your posts on weapon evolution, would definitely like to see what you have as far as testing.

I'm not interested in bling, just effectiveness. I take that to mean that the only BCG from them with a PVD/CVD coating worth the premium would be the Mystic Black.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    Just by decreasing friction. If I get a minute later I'll pull up a video that demonstrates this with thermal and NiB and chrome vs. phosphate. It's pretty minimal but it is there.
    The places where the friction is the highest are chrome plated just like the phosphate ones....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lysander View Post
    The places where the friction is the highest are chrome plated just like the phosphate ones....
    Tracking. But the outside contacts the upper, lugs the chamber, etc... But like I said,
    It's pretty minimal but it is there.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I haver roughly 1000 rounds with my mystic black version, very slick!!! Super easy to clean. That being said I paired it with a jp enterprises silent spring and had multiple double feeds. Switched back to a standard spring with no further issues....maybe just a bad combination. Love the bolt though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast