Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the golden standard AR-10 multi-purpose optic?

Feedback Score

What is the golden standard AR-10 multi-purpose optic?

For something incredibly versatile like an SR-25 ACC, I would assume the optic(s) would need to be equally impressive. Is the Leupold CQBSS still considered a viable option? Or has the transition to 1-6x happened with AR-10s as well. Does anyone use canted red dots or iron sights? Also I would think that a Micro T2/D-Evo combo would be very at home on a 16" 7.62. Or maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong and to truly utilize the full potential of the platform, an even higher magnification scope is needed. Anyway I just wanted to know what everyone rocks and why.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    "All around" or "multi purpose" is a hard nail to hit. The most reasonable suggestions you'll find - or the most astute ones I should say - are an ACOG such as the TA11 or a Nightforce NXS 1-4.

Offset sights are fine until you realize finding a dot can get hairy under stress or at odd angles.

I used a 2.5-10x42 night force on my LMT MWS for a long time. I prefer more specialized weapons, not so much half/half. My "all around" rifle didn't include extreme close range.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaPlateDuctTape View Post
    For something incredibly versatile like an SR-25 ACC, I would assume the optic(s) would need to be equally impressive. Is the Leupold CQBSS still considered a viable option? Or has the transition to 1-6x happened with AR-10s as well. Does anyone use canted red dots or iron sights? Also I would think that a Micro T2/D-Evo combo would be very at home on a 16" 7.62. Or maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong and to truly utilize the full potential of the platform, an even higher magnification scope is needed. Anyway I just wanted to know what everyone rocks and why.
    It's not really about maximizing the rifle's potential, it's about maximizing yours. What's your end use? I personally like 5.56 for close range, and would only carry a .308 if I expected to be shooting quite a bit past 200/300m. Thus, I'd be running something magnified - maybe a Mk 4 or a Nightforce 2.5-10 NXS. 10x is plenty for me at any .308 range.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    No such thing as a "golden" solution. Equipment selection depends on end use requirements. Use the "Search" function here and learn about all the options out there.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    The golden standard is the yet to come 1-10x42. It has a red dot that is visible in direct sunlight on 1x and is a true 1x. It is FFP and has no tunneling at low power. There are many choices of mil based reticles and the turrets have very positive clicks with tons of elevation.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    My preferred optic for that gun is the Leupold Mk8 1.1-8x CQBSS with H27D reticle.

If you aren't up on shelling out that much cake, there are really solid options in the 1-6x range. Good ones come in at about 85% of the max performance of the CQBSS. There are those that are a little better at the close-range stuff, and a lesser number that are just as good between 200 and 500 meters. You really need to jump up in power to match the CQBSS between 600 and 1k for other than completely obvious targets with minimal environmental effects in play.

I personally wouldn't use anything with a top power of less than 6x with 7.62 due to my application.
    Some cats are rocking Micro Aimpoints on theirs, and they're really happy, as they are using it as a pure heavy carbine with little to no expectation for use beyond 300 meters, with most under 150.
    That is, however, not how I prefer to use mine, thus my preference for the above.
    The CQBSS isn't perfect, but its the only optic that does what it does across a very wide application band with that type of gun on the market at this time.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    That's a pretty penny. One day I'd like to get a 7.62. The two that I'd be interested in are the FN SCAR 17s and DD5V1. I've heard nothing but good about the SCAR 17 and I suspect the DD reputation once the DD5V1 gets around we'll hear some good reviews.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    IMO

For a heavy battle rifle role
    Leupold Mk8 1.1-8x H27
    USO SR-8C red dot H50
    Leupold Mk6 1.1-8x CMR

bench/prone
    Leupold MK6 3-18 H59

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by KUSA View Post
    The golden standard is the yet to come 1-10x42. It has a red dot that is visible in direct sunlight on 1x and is a true 1x. It is FFP and has no tunneling at low power. There are many choices of mil based reticles and the turrets have very positive clicks with tons of elevation.
    I going to assume your mean 1-10 x 24 , 1-10x42 is a physics impossibility unless the eye lenses is in the 45 range with a tube in the 38 range. With an objective that large, the closest you could get would be 1.7-2 with a reasonable eye lenses and tube diameter.
    Last edited by Digital_Damage; 11-05-15 at 13:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post

Or put a luepy 3-18 (essentially same size as 1-8) atop with a aimpoint T2 @ 45
    This is basically what I finally settled on for mine. I tried a 1-6 at first but wanted more magnification for longer shots, so I went with the Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP. That was a great optic and a really solid choice for a semi auto .308, but I was still left wanting more magnification for the 600+ yard shots. I ended up putting a on a 3-18 FFP scope and running a micro red dot offset at 45 deg. I just switched to that, so I need more time behind the gun to really vet it out, but I think that setup will be the best for the shooting I want to do.

It really just all comes down to your needs/mission/intended application. For close to medium distance engagements, it's hard to beat a 1-6 or 1-8. If you're not planning on doing much CQB distance shooting, I think a 2.5-10 is a great choice. And if it's going to be all long range but you want an ok option for CQB distance shots if necessary, I think a higher magnification scope with offset irons or RDS (or doctor RDS) is a good way to go. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast