Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold VX-6 1-6 "Multigun" & Mark 6 1-6

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack crab View Post
    The other disappointment is that I can't find a lever to easily change the scope magnification. I have tried several sizes of Switchviews with no joy. Other than the "universal" Switchview, if anyone has any ideas, let me know.
    I have the Switchview 1655SV2 on my VX-6. I like it, I don't know if its a 'universal' one or not. It is a very nice fit.

I like my VX-6 quite a bit.

I bought it out of many factors. One big one being weight. I also liked the CMR2 reticle, 2nd focal plane, moa and price.

Glass is very good side by side with my Nightforce NXS 1-4x24 and 2.5-10x32. It was just about as good. Better than my trijicon.

I really like the auto on/off motion sensor for the illumination. I ALWAYS forgot to turn of my Nightforces and killed the battery. I now keep extra batteries on those guns.

Its interesting people report the MK6 has better glass. Prior to purchasing my VX6 I spoke with Leupold technical support. Really I was looking for durability info, the weight seemed to good to be true and I felt durability would suffer.

I ended up having a lengthy discussion with a very informative rep. Basically he preferred the VX-6, thinking it had better glass and was still very durable. His basic indication was the MK6, was built to a specific spec, which in some ways limited its optical performance in some way comparatively. The MK6 did have a thicker tube. He said he'd take the MK6 if being deployed but other wise would take a VX6, and repeated that the VX6 was very durable.

So far the VX6 is all there for me, the only thing to be seen is durability, I plan to shake it out over the next year.
    That said, if night force released a 1-6x24, that would be the answer for me.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    Thank you for your input guys.

I would like to be able to use this scope on 5.56 and .308 AR platforms.
    For this reason I chose the Mk6 with TMR-D ret instead of the CMR-W. Sometimes I wish I had the wind dots, but overall I prefer having mils for elevation. A solid wind call doesn't mean anything if I'm shooting too high or low. A mil reticle is not an easy button at face value, but to me it is easier in the long run to have KNOWN holds versus APPROXIMATED holds because my cartridge/load/atmospherics don't jive with the BDC lines.

You want to change loads or lots, figure out you new elevation holds and go to town. Same if you change chamberings or barrel length for same chambering. Regardless of the variables you change a mil reticle will allow you to easily compensate.

I am not bashing the BDC ret option. I have used ACOGs for years. I almost got the multigun scope in question to try too. I think it is probably a better option than the VCOG for almost all uses.

The MK6 is a great option. The dot isn't the brightest and has an unforgiving eye box regarding head placement and ability to see the dot, but it still suffices in bright sunlight for me, moving. 34mm main tube is nice too. When I started using 30mm scopes I looked at my 1in scopes with dismay. Now that I have some 34s, I feel that way towards my 30s. It is probably all in my head, but I love the large tubes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post

While I'm very happy with my three current scopes, if I were buying today I would also look at the Nightforce 1-4x and the $699 clearance Steiner I mentioned above.
    How's the illumination on the Steiner? Daytime bright?
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    How's the illumination on the Steiner? Daytime bright?
    I haven't had that exact Steiner in my hands, but reviews are that it's daytime bright. I own the 4-16x from that line and its brightest setting is fairly bright with no bleed. Daytime visible in sun, but not equal to the highest setting on an Aimpoint. I previously owned the 3-12x of that line and its illumination was the same.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I haven't had that exact Steiner in my hands, but reviews are that it's daytime bright. I own the 4-16x from that line and its brightest setting is fairly bright with no bleed. Daytime visible in sun, but not equal to the highest setting on an Aimpoint. I previously owned the 3-12x of that line and its illumination was the same.
    Ok cool - appreciate it. I'm looking for variable glass for a Ruger 10/22 and for an extra AR upper. I've been spoiled by how bright my Z6i is but I'm looking to try something different as well as something that cuts less into my ammo budget.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I've got the Steiner 1-4, it's daytime bright very close to my Aimpoints, very nice scope especially at $699.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
    I've got the Steiner 1-4, it's daytime bright very close to my Aimpoints, very nice scope especially at $699.
    Thanks. Unfortunately you're not making this easier. I'm trying to narrow the field. Lol!

Feedback Score
    77 (100%)
    How important is weight for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a VX-6 which I contemplated selling, but ended up getting the reticle swapped to the CMR-2. It really improved the usefulness of the scope greatly, and I have been pleased with it. BDC vs mil is a personal preference and not for everybody. The illumination isn't the brightest but the scope is light, has a good eyebox at 6x, good optical quality, and the auto on/off illumination really saves batteries. Overall it is a very useful option but only worth it at $1k price point. Over that there are better options.

Feedback Score
    Another one to check out is the Burris 1-5x xtr ii. I really like mine.

Pros

great reticle, i have the cq mil reticle,
    -very fast at 1x but seems precise enough for long distance although i have only used it on a 350 yard steel sillhouette target at a Frank Proctor class, and on paper only out to 100yards
    -bold and big enough horseshoe that no illumiation is needed during the day, unless you are aiming into really deep shade at a dark target

Daylight bright illumination
    - the reticle is reaaaaally bright on the highest setting and easily daylight bright; interestingly though i dont see the need to use illumination during most use, the reticle is totally useable without it, and in very low light conditions, when i turn the weapon light on the reticle is once again very visible; i could see using the illumination on a low setting for dusk/dawn/deep shade shooting to increase the contrast between a dark target and the reticle.

very nice turrets and easy to set up zero stop
    - Burris worked w steiner supposedly on the design of this scope and to me it is very similar to the Steiner 1-4x, including the turret design, except w a much better reticle and the increased magnification

great eye relief

Clear glass

I was able to dial out the fish eye very easily, and there is very little edge distortion on 1x

Cons

- 21.1 oz..i would prefer sub 20 oz, but hopefully this means it is rugged enough, time will tell
    - 11.3" long, but that extra length doesnt seem to bother anything
    - made in the Phillipines, but this may be a pro since I payed $799 for this scope.. I think if this was made by Steiner it would be close to $2K
    Formerly known as "Son of Vlad Tepes"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast