Thread: multi optics

Feedback Score

multi optics

Who uses multi optics on one platform? It doesn't seem too impractical with a quick release mount seeing as distance shooting is more of a planed event verses having your rifle set up and ready for CQ.
    I don't have a collection of guns (yet) one pistol, one shotgun, and now one AR.
    Through my internet browsing I haven't run across one yet, but there really doesn't seem to be a "do it all optic" out there, the closest I've seen are the 1 4x scopes, but they still don't seem to beat a good RDS for CQ. I really don't like the idea of the RDS mounted above another optic or angled. Besides I'd rather stay light for rapid deployment/HD. I was in the Marine Corps when we qualified at 500yds with iron sights so I don't have any experience with optics other than the H-1 I have on my Benelli. I'd like to also shoot distance with a scope and I'm currently in the process of searching out good one for beyond 200 to about 500 or 600yrds which should be the max effective range for the DDm4vll mil spec+. I'd like to also pick up a range finder or spotting scope in the near future and I'm not sure what to look for as far as quality. There's a gun show this weekend close by in Yuma AZ, but I doubt I'll get any honest answers to questions since they are there to sell, sell, sell.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There was a similar thread to this yesterday. "Do it all" is basically unachievable with current technology found in the industry - you end up in a jac k of all trades, master of none scenario.

I'd suggest a TA11 ACOG. They're 4 power, require no batteries and do alright inside of 100 yards. They're rather poor for indoor distances, and rather poor for long range.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
    Who uses multi optics on one platform? It doesn't seem too impractical with a quick release mount seeing as distance shooting is more of a planed event verses having your rifle set up and ready for CQ.
    I don't have a collection of guns (yet) one pistol, one shotgun, and now one AR.
    Through my internet browsing I haven't run across one yet, but there really doesn't seem to be a "do it all optic" out there, the closest I've seen are the 1 4x scopes, but they still don't seem to beat a good RDS for CQ. I really don't like the idea of the RDS mounted above another optic or angled. Besides I'd rather stay light for rapid deployment/HD. I was in the Marine Corps when we qualified at 500yds with iron sights so I don't have any experience with optics other than the H-1 I have on my Benelli. I'd like to also shoot distance with a scope and I'm currently in the process of searching out good one for beyond 200 to about 500 or 600yrds which should be the max effective range for the DDm4vll mil spec+. I'd like to also pick up a range finder or spotting scope in the near future and I'm not sure what to look for as far as quality. There's a gun show this weekend close by in Yuma AZ, but I doubt I'll get any honest answers to questions since they are there to sell, sell, sell.

I'm not tactical. I'm not .mil or LE. I've never shot at anyone, or been shot at.
    Just a regular guy, using my AR to protect my home, really my dogs, baby to come, and wife. So take that for what it's worth.
    That said, I have gone with an RDS and a 3X magnifier on my home defense rifle, for the following reasons:
    1. RDS are undeniably faster at CQB than 1-x optics or ACOG
    2. Can shoot better from awkward positions, for example if you fall backward (slip on carpet) and have to shoot from your back - try THAT with a 1-4
    3. Easier transition from magnification, with a flip-to-side unit. In order to change from 1x-4x or vice versa, you have take the rifle off your shoulder, use the cat-tail, and reshoulder. Slow.

RDS and 3x setup does have disadvantages though: even good magnifiers can never have glass as clear as a good scope, magnified RDS will not be as precise as a crosshair reticle.

For me, for HD, and hopefully never SHTF, I figure I'd rather be faster on target up close. If someone's 300 yards away, I'll probably try to remain unseen and leave the area.

My $0.02

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would say a 1x-6 or an RDS w/ magnifier as far as being "universal".

Quote Originally Posted by XD40Colorado View Post
    I have gone with an RDS and a 3X magnifier on my home defense rifle, for the following reasons:
    2. Can shoot better from awkward positions, for example if you fall backward (slip on carpet) and have to shoot from your back - try THAT with a 1-4
    3. Easier transition from magnification, with a flip-to-side unit. In order to change from 1x-4x or vice versa, you have take the rifle off your shoulder, use the cat-tail, and reshoulder. Slow.

[snip]
    For me, for HD, and hopefully never SHTF, I figure I'd rather be faster on target up close. If someone's 300 yards away, I'll probably try to remain unseen and leave the area.

My $0.02
    What kind of HD scenario would require a magnifier and still be considered a "good shoot"?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    None. That's why I said over 300 yards I would walk away.
    Thinking mroe along SHTF lines.
    Last edited by XD40Colorado; 11-04-15 at 12:56.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    None. That's why I said over 300 yards I would walk away.
    Why have one on your HD gun then? Why not save the weight & only mount it when you're plinking with it?
    Not being a dick, I'm just curious.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    I'm sticking with the red dot only, I thought about a x3 for a sec then it went away after a little research.
    I run through a qual course once a qtr for work with a service m4 and eotech, I don't care for the eotech, but I have to use what they provide. I like my T1 better. I would, however, like to purchase a nice scope (info digging still) that I can just swap out via quick release mounts for plinking, varmint hunting. I'd rather buy a nice one once in lieu of a bargain price scope that I won't be happy with.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm not tactical. I'm not .mil or LE. I've never shot at anyone, or been shot at.
    Just a regular guy, using my AR to protect my home, really my dogs, baby to come, and wife. So take that for what it's worth.
    That said, I have gone with an RDS and a 3X magnifier on my home defense rifle, for the following reasons:
    My experience trying out both RDS and 1-4x scopes in competition over 5+ years has been completely different. For me:

1) The 1x scope has proven to be as good or better for my speed and accuracy (on paper targets at 5 to 25 yards) over dozens of competitions.
    2) This has been true even when using funny positions like urban prone and shooting weak side while going around a wall. Many of the 1-4x scopes have enough eye relief and eyebox at 1x that you could use them in the oft-claimed "I fell backwards on my back and still have to shoot from it" position. Which incidentally I've never had a reason to shoot from. Paper targets and a timer suggest to me that taking 2-3 seconds to make a shot that hits is more useful than taking 1/2 second to make a miss, followed by several more rapid misses. YMMV. In real life maybe the misses would distract the bad guy from accurately shooting you, and would still be worthwhile.
    3) With modest practice I can adjust the magnification on my scopes without removing the rifle from my shoulder. It might still be slower than a flip to side magnifier, but it's not a 10-minute ordeal. I've also found I can make hits even very close up (5 yards) when I forget and leave my scope at 3 or 4x instead of the 1x I would have liked to use.

Caveats:
    A) People vary, and what works for me might not be ideal for someone else.
    B) I have an intermediate level of experience. Someone who is expert or a complete novice might find different pros and cons.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 11-04-15 at 14:01.