Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weapon Transport

Feedback Score

Weapon Transport

as a consideration, I am looking at the possibility of transporting my M4 (in the process of building it), broken down by releasing the rear pin and folding the weapon. Primary reasons for doing this include space restraints and disguising the M4. Does anyone have experience in transporting in this fashion? Or what might be some liabilities? It will take a few extra seconds to repin the M4, and it will be more vulnerable to dust. Before i get too far along that path, i want to make sure i'm not going down a road that i shouldn't. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. thanks
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Given that an AR won't fold in half on the front pivot pin, I'm not sure how releasing the rear pin and folding would save much space. If anything I think it would be pretty awkward both in shape and in a tendancy to want to fold up and/or spit your bolt/carrier/charging handle out. If you really need to save length, just pop both pins and completely separate the upper/lower. You'll need some sort of container to keep them secure, I wouldn't want them just rolling around the trunk that way.

What do you mean by "transport"? Taking to to the range or gunsmith, or keeping it stashed away as a trunk gun, or something else? What kind of vehicle? Do your local laws require you to keep it in plain view, or cased, or something else else specific?
    --Josh H.

Feedback Score
    My POV is a hatchback, and i don't want to transport the M4 in something that says: Something valuable inside, pls steal. So I will disguise my "carrying case"; the M4 will still be held in a well padded secure fashion, but i'm not sure that i will have enough room to transport the rifle without breaking it down to some degree. Agreed, it's not the best choice, but for right now it's the best solution that offers quick access, secure transport, while still keeping it out of sight. Once i get my M4 built and get specific measurements i will have better idea of space requirements. Right now i'm just seeing if anyone else has gone a similiar route, and what their experiences were.

I'm looking at being able to carry the M4 in the car at all times, without it being obvious. With my CCW i can carry it loaded and fully concealed, but I won't have one in the chamber. Hope this helps answer some questions about "why and how".

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Absolutely nothing is gained by pushing only the rear pin out. Either leave it together or separate the receivers completely.

Anything that is covered up or cased or concealed in a car indicates something of value to a theif.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    Absolutely nothing is gained by pushing only the rear pin out. Either leave it together or separate the receivers completely.
    Agreed.
    "Shotgunning" the carbine will only make it more difficult to conceal/disguise, unless you intend on baking it inside a giant cake.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    These might be just the ticket to what you're looking for:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...ECEIVER%20PINS
    We must not believe the Evil One when he tells us that there is nothing we can do in the face of violence, injustice and sin. - Pope Francis I

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    One thing to consider is that if it isn't properly secured inside the vehicle and someone were to break in and steal it you are probably going to be in legal trouble. I recommend getting a decent size Pelican case and securing it. I highly discourage you from just leaving in the trunk (hatch) as an oh shit gun.

Pelicans aren't that expensive and if you split the upper and lower you should be able to get a decent size case to hold it as well as ammo, etc...

Just my 720 Iraqi Dinar.

Feedback Score
    hmmm i think i'm not communicating right. i'll try and find some pictures of what i'm trying to do. lol or else i'll just complete the project and post some pics.

but thanks for the input.

Feedback Score
    This whole thing just sounds like a bad idea, that should just be aborted. I don't see anything good coming of it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew_b View Post
    This whole thing just sounds like a bad idea, that should just be aborted. I don't see anything good coming of it.
    it's possible that it might end up as a very bad idea. but i think it will work, and give me a way to safely transport and secure the firearm, while reducing the chance of the vehicle being specifically targeted due to an obvious "weapon" case. Should see some of the carrying cases i use for photographic eqpt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast