Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: safe

Feedback Score

safe

I'm not sure where to put this question so I'll post it here until told otherwise.
    Anyways, I recently purchased a two story home and I'm in the market for a quality, but small (I won't store more than one shot gun, one AR, and two duty carry pistols) safe or locker I can bolt down in my closet so I have access to protection incase of intruder from ground level.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
    I'm not sure where to put this question so I'll post it here until told otherwise.
    Anyways, I recently purchased a two story home and I'm in the market for a quality, but small (I won't store more than one shot gun, one AR, and two duty carry pistols) safe or locker I can bolt down in my closet so I have access to protection incase of intruder from ground level.
    Check out the Pro Vault by Liberty at Cabelas. Might still be on sale. Don't, however, under estimate your future needs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The number one statement made by gun safe purchasers is, "Damn it, I should have gotten a bigger safe."

Feedback Score
    I'm looking at one of these for a secondary bedroom in the house I am building. My primary safe is a Liberty Lincoln series... this would be for my kids bedroom closet.

This model great review ratings and a decent price, but I have no actual experience with the unit.

http://www.amazon.com/BARSKA-Quick-A...orner+gun+safe

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The number one statement made by gun safe purchasers is, "Damn it, I should have gotten a bigger safe."
    Why I now have 2, LOL!

Feedback Score
    That's why I want a small one upstairs. To protect the big one downstairs

Feedback Score
    I'll echo others...if this is your primary safe, buy the largest and best you can afford. I took your post that you wanted something compact you could place in a secondary location to secure a firearm for quick access...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    My past research lead me to Sturdy Safe

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    This!!

At the very least buy a safe that will easily (safe advertised capacities are very over exaggerated IMO) hold quadruple what you are thinking you'll need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
    I did a lot of research in regards to fire. Fire can really mess up your day and a lot of safe companies ratings are not necessarily accurate they way you'd think.

Not to mention you should read up about heat and location. For example, with an average house fire, you can expect reasonable temps up to 6 or 8 inches off of the floor if I remember correctly. I think around 180 or even less. This is why they say stay low. It may even be less than that.

However, you go up to even 1 foot and you're in deep do do. The temp goes up dramatically. As in, you'll be "well done"

My point is you're safe will see temps of around 180 at the bottom and potentially around 1200 degrees at the upper portion of it.

As I'm in an apparent now, I've moved my documents and the like to the bottom of my safe.

When I get a house I'm seriously considering tearing up the slab in the garage and building a safe that lays down. Pain to access but safe from fire.

Another thing to consider is location. It's great to have it in the closet by your bed but what happens if the floor gets weak from the fire and it falls through.

Also, keep in mind if it falls through to your basement, if you have one, or you put the safe in the basement to begin with, all kinds of material could collapse on it. Now add tons of water from the fire department and think of the toxins that could mix in with that water that your safe is now sitting in and WILL be sitting in until you get the OK to go on your own property to get at it.

I've just scratched the surface. Put a lot of thought into the safe you buy and where you place it. The far wall of your garage is probably the best place from a fire standpoint and being able to boot it to the cement floor and then get a small secondary safe for your closet and just out one HD gun in it.
    Last edited by Thesandstonefiles; 11-06-15 at 12:08.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast