Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: safe

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzinSATX View Post
    I'll echo others...if this is your primary safe, buy the largest and best you can afford. I took your post that you wanted something compact you could place in a secondary location to secure a firearm for quick access...
    OP, just saw your second post regarding this is a secondary safe for upstairs. I stand by my suggestion on the Barska...

http://www.gunsafeexpert.com/barska-...e-safe-review/

Everywhere I saw it sold, it typically had 4 star ratings from hundreds of people. Not really super secure, and I only plan to keep a Mossy 500 or 10-22 and/or a Glock, a light, and spare ammo in mine. It's more of a "just in case" kinda thing...

YMMV

Feedback Score
    Thanks for some idea's guys. those two look nice, I like the bio, it's small and seems easily accessible, but unfortunately I don't like the locking mechanism. It looks no bigger than a simple door handle. I know all safes can be open, but that one seems too easily pried. I noticed this one while looking at that one on amazon. seems decent for a secondary safe.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    Last edited by jk6672; 11-06-15 at 12:13.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post
    Thanks for some idea's guys. those two look nice, I like the bio, it's small and seems easily accessible, but unfortunately I don't like the locking mechanism. It looks no bigger than a simple door handle. I know all safes can be open, but that one seems too easily pried. I noticed this one while looking at that one on amazon. seems decent for a secondary safe.

Your money, your safe. But I would never trust my life to a biometric lock.
    Sweaty? Can't get in.
    Bloody? Can't get in.
    Cold? Can't get in.
    Shaking? Can't get in.

YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    Good point.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jk6672 View Post

I'm not sure what your budget is, but for the money you'd be better off buying a metal job box (toolbox used on construction sites) and disguising it than getting that safe from Amazon. Not only is that safe a beacon for something you want hidden, it's far too easy to break into. The type of lock they show there is held locked by a spring solenoid, and can be accessed in under 10 seconds (not an exaggeration, I've seen it done.) Even a simplex mechanical lock is superior. If all you need is to keep kids from getting access to your firearms, the amazon one might do, depending on their age and disposition, but I personally wouldn't trust it.

If you want to spend money on a safe, get one that has the best chance of protecting your valuables. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars, but a few hundred for something a bit more robust is a good idea IMO.

This is a solid option.

This is also not bad.

You already seem to understand no safe is perfect and should be kept hidden and be part of a layered security plan, so whatever you decide is up to you.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 11-06-15 at 12:39.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Biometric security is a fundamentally flawed concept, in regard to figure prints.

You literally leave the key to your safe on everything you touch. Apple developed a system that would prevent lifted prints from working- the system was cracked with lifted prints less than a day after the phones were released.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Hell I don't even like electronic keypad locks unless they have a mechanical back-up. I've have seen them screw up to many times to trust them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    I'm not sure what your budget is, but for the money you'd be better off buying a metal job box (toolbox used on construction sites) and disguising it than getting that safe from Amazon. Not only is that safe a beacon for something you want hidden, it's far too easy to break into. The type of lock they show there is held locked by a spring solenoid, and can be accessed in under 10 seconds (not an exaggeration, I've seen it done.) Even a simplex mechanical lock is superior. If all you need is to keep kids from getting access to your firearms, the amazon one might do, depending on their age and disposition, but I personally wouldn't trust it.

If you want to spend money on a safe, get one that has the best chance of protecting your valuables. You don't have to spend thousands of dollars, but a few hundred for something a bit more robust is a good idea IMO.

This is a solid option.

This is also not bad.

You already seem to understand no safe is perfect and should be kept hidden and be part of a layered security plan, so whatever you decide is up to you.
    thanks. I'm going to look into that TS08 and also the RE12

Feedback Score
    I talked to a gentleman from gunsafe.com and he suggested the RE12 over the TS08 even though it is less expensive.

Feedback Score
    254 (100%)
    I'm not sure what your budget is, but if the goal is of the safe is to store a few items securely, on the second floor and in a closet, and all the extra bells and whistles are not needed, I would seriously consider a safe from Zanotti Armor (LINK) .

This is what I ended up going with for a secondary house where items were stored on the second floor and in a closet, mostly to protect from theft and safe storage away from younger children, as well as giving access to items that might be needed for defensive purposes. The beauty of the safe is it comes disassembled in two boxes so it is easily moved and installed in the closet. I was able to move it an assemble it by myself. If your dimensions are like mine, the bigger safes once assembled inside the closet can not be tipped or turned to move outside the door to attempt more leverage on a pry attack. Lagging it to the floor would stop any movement internally. If you have a knob on the closet door, you could also put a lock on it for additional security or more time the local meth head has to spend to get access to it while you are away. They can easily be disassembled and reassembled anytime you wish. They are extremely well built here in the U.S. and the owner usually answers the phone to help educate potential customers.

The downsides are the safes are not super heavy so if a thief was to dislodge it from the bolts (and assuming they could get it out of the closet without tearing down walls), the safe and all the contents can be put on a dolly and rolled away. Additionally, the interior is no frills with bare metal walls unless extra money is spent for interior padding (i've never found it to be an issue). All shelves and dividers are padded with marine grade carpet as seen in other safes though. And while the safes only offer limited "fire resistance", if the house has a major fire and a safe is on the second floor, temperatures are likely to get well above and last well beyond the time of protection for most safes. For me, the fire resistance was not an issue as nothing is stored in it that is not easily replaced if left behind in a fire.

Another downside is there is usually a pretty long wait list to get one delivered as they allegedly are very popular for fedgov and other types that move around often for employment.

Ultimately you have to be the judge of what level of safety, security and fire protection is right for your situation and your budget. I thought I'd offer a suggestion of what worked in mine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast