Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats WILL BRINK'S opinion on crossfit?

Feedback Score

Whats WILL BRINK'S opinion on crossfit?

I have always been a traditional weight lifter/strength trainer. My fitness goals have revolved around staying strong, healthy and the obvious benefit of looking good. I have always been extremely conscious about proper form and not pushing to much weight to break my form beyond a safe means. obviously you can cheat a little when needed. In the past year my guy has become basically the top crossfit center in our part of the state. good for them because it is a big money maker for sure... iv seen the ridiculous prices of the classes$$$$.

when i see what these kids ( i can say that because im almost 30 now) and even older people pushing themselves so hared they look like the are about to snap in half at the wast it makes me cringe. to me, it looks like a "sport" that is going to create a LOT of tendon and joint injuries. even when they are doing their exercises in the "correct" manner/form it just looks downright unhealthy, but what do i know....i just pick things up and put them down.

in all honestly, I have nothing against the sport or people that do it. just wanted a professionals opinion on this. iv asked a life long experienced competitive bodybuilder and physical therapist that is also a trainer and he has nothing good to say about it.

what is your opinion Will Brink?
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    search the forum... this topic has been discussed at length

I'm sure you'll see his opinion in that thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GotAmmo View Post
    search the forum... this topic has been discussed at length

I'm sure you'll see his opinion in that thread
    My apologies. I am bad about searching the "social" forum. Somone is welcom to delet my thread.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Basically everything there is to know about cross fit.

https://youtu.be/xyil4IGAvVs

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cbx View Post
    Basically everything there is to know about cross fit.

https://youtu.be/xyil4IGAvVs
    I really wanted to post something like that too.

you made my day.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I won't pretend to know a lot about fitness, nor am I expressing an expert opinion, but I can say that Crossfit works if you are realistic about your ability level. I started 6 months ago after a year of solid gym time and have gained more strength than I had in over a year of regular gym work. The environment and community is very inviting and the team workouts drive you harder than you would solo. I hear a lot of harsh things about injuries and the hazards of having people who aren't trained doing Olympic lifts. Those are valid points and I can see the dangers if your trainers/gym are not scaling down the workouts properly for your skill level. The one I joined does a good job of this, but maybe many do not? I don't know. What I do know is, I am stronger than I have ever been and the gains are real. As I said, though, proper coaching is surely necessary to prevent injuries. I enjoy it a lot and have had great success, minus ripping my hands open a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I won't pretend to know a lot about fitness, nor am I expressing an expert opinion, but I can say that Crossfit works if you are realistic about your ability level. I started 6 months ago after a year of solid gym time and have gained more strength than I had in over a year of regular gym work. The environment and community is very inviting and the team workouts drive you harder than you would solo. I hear a lot of harsh things about injuries and the hazards of having people who aren't trained doing Olympic lifts. Those are valid points and I can see the dangers if your trainers/gym are not scaling down the workouts properly for your skill level. The one I joined does a good job of this, but maybe many do not? I don't know. What I do know is, I am stronger than I have ever been and the gains are real. As I said, though, proper coaching is surely necessary to prevent injuries. I enjoy it a lot and have had great success, minus ripping my hands open a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well said. It's no different than anything else. You hear more people talking about the bad stuff than you do the good sometimes.

More power to you if you're doing it safely. Its Just not for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by U&A View Post
    I have always been a traditional weight lifter/strength trainer. My fitness goals have revolved around staying strong, healthy and the obvious benefit of looking good. I have always been extremely conscious about proper form and not pushing to much weight to break my form beyond a safe means. obviously you can cheat a little when needed. In the past year my guy has become basically the top crossfit center in our part of the state. good for them because it is a big money maker for sure... iv seen the ridiculous prices of the classes$$$$.

when i see what these kids ( i can say that because im almost 30 now) and even older people pushing themselves so hared they look like the are about to snap in half at the wast it makes me cringe. to me, it looks like a "sport" that is going to create a LOT of tendon and joint injuries. even when they are doing their exercises in the "correct" manner/form it just looks downright unhealthy, but what do i know....i just pick things up and put them down.

in all honestly, I have nothing against the sport or people that do it. just wanted a professionals opinion on this. iv asked a life long experienced competitive bodybuilder and physical therapist that is also a trainer and he has nothing good to say about it.

what is your opinion Will Brink?
    As others mentioned, search option is your friend.

CF it is a form of cross training, which has been around forever. Many who had not been exposed to CF think CF invented the concept. Cross training can have many potential benefits, but most of your S&C coaches don't think much of CF due to a number of factors, such as lack of proper programming, choice of exercises, etc. Much of what many don't like about CF is the cult like nature (hence the term Cult Fit) and general nonsense associated with it, such as attachments to various fad diets (went from supporting the Zone to Paleo, etc) and a long list of fails.

People often mistake difficult for efficient and effective. There's no doubt CF can be very challenging and get you into great shape, but there's better ways to go about it, wit far lower risks of injury.

Here's what I wrote on my site on CF, with a link to an extensive review:

For specific details, pro and cons, etc, you really need to read the report above. Here’s my basic summery however: CrossFit is a system of high intensity circuit training. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that and done correctly, high intensity circuit training can lead to a solid balance of conditioning, endurance, and functional strength. CrossFit has developed specific protocols for their particular brand of circuit training. So far so good.

The issue is, circuit training is not remotely original to CrossFit. CrossFit proponents tend to make a lot if claims – similar to the kettlebell followers BTW – that range from untrue to total fantasy, and that’s where they tend to get into trouble with people. Some of the exercises recommended are an injury waiting to happen, or simply goofy. People, being social animals, like to be part of something, and CrossFit is a system which holds your hand and enters people into the cult-like group that is CrossFit. Bingo, you’re in the “in crowed” by doing CrossFit and that’s attractive to many people…

Can a person get into great shape using CrossFit? Absolutely, but it’s just one more tool in the tool box of ways to go about getting into good condition (defined here as a balance between functional strength, endurance, and bodycomp) and various ways of conducting high intensity circuit training has been around many decades before CrossFit. The training I conduct with tactical law enforcement (e.g., SWAT, etc.) revolves around high intensity circuit training, but is more specific to that population’s requirements and includes guns! See my vids if interested.

There’s many ways to approach training, so feel free to try CrossFit for a change of pace, but don’ drink the kool-Aid and end up in any cults…

Cont HERE
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-07-15 at 11:52.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    As others mentioned, search option is your friend.

CF it is a form of cross training, which has been around forever. Many who had not been exposed to CF think CF invented the concept. Cross training can have many potential benefits, but most of your S&C coaches don't think much of CF due to a number of factors, such as lack of proper programming, choice of exercises, etc. Much of what many don't like about CF is the cult like nature (hence the term Cult Fit) and general nonsense associated with it, such as attachments to various fad diets (went from supporting the Zone to Paleo, etc) and a long list of fails.

People often mistake difficult for efficient and effective. There's no doubt CF can be very challenging and get you into great shape, but there's better ways to go about it, wit far lower risks of injury.

Here's what I wrote on my site on CF, with a link to an extensive review:

For specific details, pro and cons, etc, you really need to read the report above. Here’s my basic summery however: CrossFit is a system of high intensity circuit training. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that and done correctly, high intensity circuit training can lead to a solid balance of conditioning, endurance, and functional strength. CrossFit has developed specific protocols for their particular brand of circuit training. So far so good.

The issue is, circuit training is not remotely original to CrossFit. CrossFit proponents tend to make a lot if claims – similar to the kettlebell followers BTW – that range from untrue to total fantasy, and that’s where they tend to get into trouble with people. Some of the exercises recommended are an injury waiting to happen, or simply goofy. People, being social animals, like to be part of something, and CrossFit is a system which holds your hand and enters people into the cult-like group that is CrossFit. Bingo, you’re in the “in crowed” by doing CrossFit and that’s attractive to many people…

Can a person get into great shape using CrossFit? Absolutely, but it’s just one more tool in the tool box of ways to go about getting into good condition (defined here as a balance between functional strength, endurance, and bodycomp) and various ways of conducting high intensity circuit training has been around many decades before CrossFit. The training I conduct with tactical law enforcement (e.g., SWAT, etc.) revolves around high intensity circuit training, but is more specific to that population’s requirements and includes guns! See my vids if interested.

There’s many ways to approach training, so feel free to try CrossFit for a change of pace, but don’ drink the kool-Aid and end up in any cults…

Cont HERE
    I really appreciate the response. Thanks for the info and your opinion.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by U&A View Post
    I really appreciate the response. Thanks for the info and your opinion.
    I hope it helps.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast