Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats WILL BRINK'S opinion on crossfit?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    I hope it helps.
    It helps justify my opinion!! Lol��
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    CF it is a form of cross training, which has been around forever. Many who had not been exposed to CF think CF invented the concept. Cross training can have many potential benefits, but most of your S&C coaches don't think much of CF due to a number of factors, such as lack of proper programming, choice of exercises, etc. Much of what many don't like about CF is the cult like nature (hence the term Cult Fit) and general nonsense associated with it, such as attachments to various fad diets (went from supporting the Zone to Paleo, etc) and a long list of fails.

People often mistake difficult for efficient and effective. There's no doubt CF can be very challenging and get you into great shape, but there's better ways to go about it, wit far lower risks of injury.

Here's what I wrote on my site on CF, with a link to an extensive review:

For specific details, pro and cons, etc, you really need to read the report above. Here’s my basic summery however: CrossFit is a system of high intensity circuit training. There’s nothing inherently wrong with that and done correctly, high intensity circuit training can lead to a solid balance of conditioning, endurance, and functional strength. CrossFit has developed specific protocols for their particular brand of circuit training. So far so good.

The issue is, circuit training is not remotely original to CrossFit. CrossFit proponents tend to make a lot if claims – similar to the kettlebell followers BTW – that range from untrue to total fantasy, and that’s where they tend to get into trouble with people. Some of the exercises recommended are an injury waiting to happen, or simply goofy. People, being social animals, like to be part of something, and CrossFit is a system which holds your hand and enters people into the cult-like group that is CrossFit. Bingo, you’re in the “in crowed” by doing CrossFit and that’s attractive to many people…

Can a person get into great shape using CrossFit? Absolutely, but it’s just one more tool in the tool box of ways to go about getting into good condition (defined here as a balance between functional strength, endurance, and bodycomp) and various ways of conducting high intensity circuit training has been around many decades before CrossFit. The training I conduct with tactical law enforcement (e.g., SWAT, etc.) revolves around high intensity circuit training, but is more specific to that population’s requirements and includes guns! See my vids if interested.

There’s many ways to approach training, so feel free to try CrossFit for a change of pace, but don’ drink the kool-Aid and end up in any cults…

Cont HERE[/QUOTE]

Seems like your main complaint about Crossfit is that they "claim" to be the first and only people to use HICT. Who cares? It's gotten thousands upon thousands of people off their ass and in the gym using a universally scalable fitness program that can be used for anyone from 7-70 years old. As for it being a "cult", I'm sure it seems like that to a lot of people that look at it from the outside without actually being a part of it since there is a lot of behavior that might seem strange to people that only go to 24 hour fitness/Gold's type gyms. The friendship/camaraderie that happens at a Crossfit box breeds accountability to continue to show up at on a daily basis. And honestly, how can you blame program that promotes people to strive to be active and eat healthy? You basically said that you coach a Crossfit type workout to "tactical law enforcement" and I can tell you first hand that there is a metric shitload of active law enforcement, paramedics, firefighters and military that are proponents of Crossfit, many of which I see at my own box. Saying that adding firearms training to that makes it sound more like a Rob Pincus video and we all know how many laughs we've all gotten out of those.

Even though I've personally been around Crossfit for 4 years, because that's when my wife started, I've only actively participated in it since March and I'll echo what Pork Chop has experienced and say that I've seen my strength/conditioning improve leaps and bounds in that time and I only get do do it for two weeks out of six since I'm out of town working, although I do maintain quite a bit of body weight/rings work on my own. Also, it's not always based on some balls to the wall crank out as many reps as possible WOD everyday. There are a lot of times ( about 2x week) that we work strictly on lifting work in *gasp* sets! (Just like you would at globo-gym). I'll say that for me, I'll continue to do it for as long as I can as I've seen the benefits for myself and as soon as my daughter is old enough I can tell you that my wife will have her doing it as well. As a matter of fact, she's been in and around our gym since she was 2 weeks old.

Is Crossfit for everyone? No. But can anyone do it and get the results they want from it? Absolutely. But, don't shit on something just because everyone is saying that they claim to be the first, best or whatever, that argument carries zero basis. And don't believe they hype about injuries and all that, they are fewer and farther between than people would have you believe. At the end of the day, it's probably not going to be "Kool-aid" you're drinking but most likely a Fit-Aid while you're drenched in sweat.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageBrew84 View Post

Seems like your main complaint about Crossfit is that they "claim" to be the first and only people to use HICT.
    False. You need to read my comments more closely. Mark Rippetoe, who literally helped start CF and was a proponent early on, and highly respected S&C coach has an excellent write up on CF CrossFit: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly gives the pros/cons of CF.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageBrew84 View Post
    Who cares? It's gotten thousands upon thousands of people off their ass and in the gym using a universally scalable fitness program that can be used for anyone from 7-70 years old. As for it being a "cult", I'm sure it seems like that to a lot of people that look at it from the outside without actually being a part of it since there is a lot of behavior that might seem strange to people that only go to 24 hour fitness/Gold's type gyms. The friendship/camaraderie that happens at a Crossfit box breeds accountability to continue to show up at on a daily basis. And honestly, how can you blame program that promotes people to strive to be active and eat healthy? You basically said that you coach a Crossfit type workout to "tactical law enforcement" and I can tell you first hand that there is a metric shitload of active law enforcement, paramedics, firefighters and military that are proponents of Crossfit, many of which I see at my own box. Saying that adding firearms training to that makes it sound more like a Rob Pincus video and we all know how many laughs we've all gotten out of those.

Even though I've personally been around Crossfit for 4 years, because that's when my wife started, I've only actively participated in it since March and I'll echo what Pork Chop has experienced and say that I've seen my strength/conditioning improve leaps and bounds in that time and I only get do do it for two weeks out of six since I'm out of town working, although I do maintain quite a bit of body weight/rings work on my own. Also, it's not always based on some balls to the wall crank out as many reps as possible WOD everyday. There are a lot of times ( about 2x week) that we work strictly on lifting work in *gasp* sets! (Just like you would at globo-gym). I'll say that for me, I'll continue to do it for as long as I can as I've seen the benefits for myself and as soon as my daughter is old enough I can tell you that my wife will have her doing it as well. As a matter of fact, she's been in and around our gym since she was 2 weeks old.

Is Crossfit for everyone? No. But can anyone do it and get the results they want from it? Absolutely. But, don't shit on something just because everyone is saying that they claim to be the first, best or whatever, that argument carries zero basis. And don't believe they hype about injuries and all that, they are fewer and farther between than people would have you believe. At the end of the day, it's probably not going to be "Kool-aid" you're drinking but most likely a Fit-Aid while you're drenched in sweat.
    No patience, no interest in this debate. Q was asked by the OP, and I responded to the request, Do CF 'till the wheels fall and and do what you feel works best for you.

Good luck.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-07-15 at 14:47.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Pretty sure Will has forgotten more about fitness than I'll learn in a lifetime , so this is in no way directed toward you, Will, and I realize this thread is done, but, for me, the big difference isn't that one thing works so much better than the other, it's that I have metric shit ton more fun at Crossfit than at a standard gym. The camaraderie there is so much more motivating than watching 13 other dudes I don't know stare at themselves doing curls in the gigantic wall mirror, all of us with earbuds in, no idea what each other's names are. The "cult" others refer to is hard for me to see, I guess? I see an environment that encourages community and teamwork. I like that part and I've never, ever been left in a pool of my own sweat, blood and tears like I have after a hard wod at Xfit. I completely see both sides of the Xfit vs mirror wall weight lifting argument, i just simply get great results while having fun and that's the difference maker, in my opinion. Fun = I will show up, even on days I kinda have the "don'tgivashits". To each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Pretty sure Will has forgotten more about fitness than I'll learn in a lifetime , so this is in no way directed toward you, Will, and I realize this thread is done, but, for me, the big difference isn't that one thing works so much better than the other, it's that I have metric shit ton more fun at Crossfit than at a standard gym. The camaraderie there is so much more motivating than watching 13 other dudes I don't know stare at themselves doing curls in the gigantic wall mirror, all of us with earbuds in, no idea what each other's names are. The "cult" others refer to is hard for me to see, I guess? I see an environment that encourages community and teamwork. I like that part and I've never, ever been left in a pool of my own sweat, blood and tears like I have after a hard wod at Xfit. I completely see both sides of the Xfit vs mirror wall weight lifting argument, i just simply get great results while having fun and that's the difference maker, in my opinion. Fun = I will show up, even on days I kinda have the "don'tgivashits". To each their own.
    Rgr Rgr. I'm not anti CF. Be clear on that, and neither is coach Rippetoe (see article linked above) for that matter who was on the ground floor of CF. It's an approach with pros/cons. The issue is that most proponents of CF have refused to see/admit to those cons, circle their wagons to any legit criticisms, and hence, it could be far better than it is. I think a read of that linked article could be most informative regardless.

Anytime you have a system, be it MA, shooting, lifting, diet, etc where the proponents are dogmatic, unable to accept criticism, makes BS claims easy to disprove, and openly hostile to any detractors, and go outside their lane regularly, you have a problem and it's a red flag for anyone who genuinely wants offer the most effective system they can offer to their followers of the system. There's a lot that has, and does, go on behind the scenes with CF the average "box" attendee has no clue about, but with some Google-fu can be found if one is so inclined.

Bottom line: If it works for you, achieves your goals, you enjoy it (which is a very important component of any program people will stick to long term and should not be under valued in the grand scheme) than drive on sir.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 11-07-15 at 17:41.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post

You have some good points.

While the social aspect of CF is great, not everyone is into 'socializing' when they workout. Many people who work out alone in a gym or wherever can get as much fun with their workout and get same results if exercises are done properly. Also, you can get the social aspect by playing team sports (basketball, baseball, football ect) without paying an arm and a leg for a CF membership.

The cult aspect/criticisms of CF seem to stem from many members who think its the best thing since sliced bread, and like to brag about it. No offense, just not appealing to others.

I'm not for or against CF. I've never done it but have many friends that do. Its good if it works for you, but it doesn't work for everybody. I go to a normal gym with some friends and we have as much fun and get a great workout. A typical gym is not just "doing curls in a gigantic wall mirror". For example, LA Fitness offers swimming, basketball, weights, cardio, and different classes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Whats WILL BRINK'S opinion on crossfit?

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeM4 View Post
    You have some good points.

While the social aspect of CF is great, not everyone is into 'socializing' when they workout. Many people who work out alone in a gym or wherever can get as much fun with their workout and get same results if exercises are done properly. Also, you can get the social aspect by playing team sports (basketball, baseball, football ect) without paying an arm and a leg for a CF membership.

The cult aspect/criticisms of CF seem to stem from many members who think its the best thing since sliced bread, and like to brag about it. No offense, just not appealing to others.

I'm not for or against CF. I've never done it but have many friends that do. Its good if it works for you, but it doesn't work for everybody. I go to a normal gym with some friends and we have as much fun and get a great workout. A typical gym is not just "doing curls in a gigantic wall mirror". For example, LA Fitness offers swimming, basketball, weights, cardio, and different classes.
    Oh yea, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Crossfit cheerleader. I like it and it works for me, but I completely understand all sides. I am a proponent of doing SOMETHING. The "box" I attend has a fantastic atmosphere and they work very hard to not only teach the proper lifts, but they make sure to discreetly advise against/scale down for those who can't/ shouldn't be doing them. I can see that, if you go somewhere and they aren't doing those things, injuries are bound to happen.

I didn't particularly care for the normal gym atmosphere, but I'm an older middle aged guy and I do not have a single friend who works out or will ever work out. I had no workout buddies and the Crossfit atmosphere was very inviting to me. I have no dog in the fight and I think if you do anything vs nothing, it's the right thing.

Edit: I don't care what a membership costs. If you do, yes, Crossfit can be expensive.
    Last edited by Pork Chop; 11-08-15 at 19:42.

Feedback Score
    [QUOTE=Pork Chop;2208252]Oh yea, don't get me wrong, I'm not a Crossfit cheerleader. I like it and it works for me, but I completely understand all sides. I am a proponent of doing SOMETHING. The "box" I attend has a fantastic atmosphere and they work very hard to not only teach the proper lifts, but they make sure to discreetly advise against/scale down for those who can't/ shouldn't be doing them. I can see that, if you go somewhere and they aren't doing those things, injuries are bound to happen.

I didn't particularly care for the normal gym atmosphere, but I'm an older middle aged guy and I do not have a single friend who works out or will ever work out. I had no workout buddies and the Crossfit atmosphere was very inviting to me. I have no dog in the fight and I think if you do anything vs nothing, it's the right thing.

Pork chop - question about CF. As you describe being older middle aged guy do you find yourself encountering injuries related to the ballistic CF movements? I'm 42 and have to warmup and progress in weight and some exercises I can't do due to a lifetime of military, sports and weight training. I also use more high rep days vs heavy days - for me CF would have been great in my 20's - now it would create injuries if (shoulder, back, knee) if I do Olympic lifts with high speed / volume consistently

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I wouldn't say I get injuries, but my hands are getting pretty beat up from the kipping pullups and some of the overhead bar work. I also have trouble with my wrists on some front rack lifts, like thrusters. I don't have good flexibility and I also have to warm up ALOT before lifting heavy or doing intense movements, but I can do probably 75% or more of the exercises with good warmup and mobility discipline. I'm never going to compete in Crossfit, so I do what I can and improvise where I can't, since I'm only doing it for me.

I actually enjoy most of the Olympic lifts, but I'm not trying to break records. I just go at my own pace and I listen to my body. If it hurts, I back off.

Feedback Score
    Hi guys I'm new to the site. I've been lifting for roughly 15 years and I've been doing crossfit for 8 years. I coach at Crossfit Annandale and have been doing that for about 2 years. Many of you have legitimate points about crossfit. Yes people do get injured. Yes there are affiliates that I have personally sceen where I stopped trainers from doing what they were doing because it was so dangerous, even though that I was a guest there at the time. That being said those are the vast minority of occasions. I've been to numerous gyms on three continents and most of them are very effective at getting their athletes to their goals. The reason crossfit gyms work is because of social pressure to come exercise consistently not because of any secret sauce that crossfit cooked up. The other reasons crossfit works is because in a well programmed gym there are concrete goals and progressions for strength and metabolic conditioning programs. Long gone are the days where random crap gets thrown on a whiteboard. If that is your gym's method I suggest you leave as that will only work for a year or so before you max out your beginner gains.

I actually run a site where I talk about fitness, guns and tactical equipment. Check this article out for a simple and effective program.

Moderator note: Please follow the guidelines for posting your articles here - https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...980#post725980
    Last edited by militarymoron; 02-04-16 at 18:31. Reason: Article text needs to be included in post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast