Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Whats WILL BRINK'S opinion on crossfit?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjackson@tierthreetac View Post
    Hi guys I'm new to the site. I've been lifting for roughly 15 years and I've been doing crossfit for 8 years. I coach at Crossfit Annandale and have been doing that for about 2 years. Many of you have legitimate points about crossfit. Yes people do get injured. Yes there are affiliates that I have personally sceen where I stopped trainers from doing what they were doing because it was so dangerous, even though that I was a guest there at the time. That being said those are the vast minority of occasions. I've been to numerous gyms on three continents and most of them are very effective at getting their athletes to their goals. The reason crossfit gyms work is because of social pressure to come exercise consistently not because of any secret sauce that crossfit cooked up. The other reasons crossfit works is because in a well programmed gym there are concrete goals and progressions for strength and metabolic conditioning programs. Long gone are the days where random crap gets thrown on a whiteboard. If that is your gym's method I suggest you leave as that will only work for a year or so before you max out your beginner gains.
    That is one of the most accurate statements/assessments of CF in this thread and I agree with it.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    Edit: I don't care what a membership costs. If you do, yes, Crossfit can be expensive.
    I think that can be another barrier for some who are budget conscious. Not that they can't afford it, but paying a chunk of money for a CF membership with limited amenities vs another gym that offers many amenities is not as attractive. For example, I pay less than $30/month for La fitness membership which has a pool, basketball court, free classes (yoga, kickbox, etc), weights, cardio, and allows gym use anywhere in the state. I can easily afford CF If I wanted, but the limited amenities is what keeps me away. I would like to try it someday though, I just do not want to pay the higher membership cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pork Chop View Post
    I wouldn't say I get injuries, but my hands are getting pretty beat up from the kipping pullups and some of the overhead bar work. I also have trouble with my wrists on some front rack lifts, like thrusters. I don't have good flexibility and I also have to warm up ALOT before lifting heavy or doing intense movements, but I can do probably 75% or more of the exercises with good warmup and mobility discipline. I'm never going to compete in Crossfit, so I do what I can and improvise where I can't, since I'm only doing it for me.

I actually enjoy most of the Olympic lifts, but I'm not trying to break records. I just go at my own pace and I listen to my body. If it hurts, I back off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is what I hear with other CF as well. While I know those are great exercises, they can cause some injury and discomfort beyond a normal workout. I used worked out with a friend who is a Physical Therapist who gave me many tips about safety and proper form. He would probably cringe when he sees the unconventional CF exercises...

Quote Originally Posted by jjackson@tierthreetac View Post
    Hi guys I'm new to the site. I've been lifting for roughly 15 years and I've been doing crossfit for 8 years. I coach at Crossfit Annandale and have been doing that for about 2 years. Many of you have legitimate points about crossfit. Yes people do get injured. Yes there are affiliates that I have personally sceen where I stopped trainers from doing what they were doing because it was so dangerous, even though that I was a guest there at the time. That being said those are the vast minority of occasions. I've been to numerous gyms on three continents and most of them are very effective at getting their athletes to their goals. The reason crossfit gyms work is because of social pressure to come exercise consistently not because of any secret sauce that crossfit cooked up. The other reasons crossfit works is because in a well programmed gym there are concrete goals and progressions for strength and metabolic conditioning programs. Long gone are the days where random crap gets thrown on a whiteboard. If that is your gym's method I suggest you leave as that will only work for a year or so before you max out your beginner gains.

I actually run a site where I talk about fitness, guns and tactical equipment. Check this article out for a simple and effective program.
    http://www.tierthreetactical.com/the...u-cant-finish/
    Thanks for your input. I'll check out those websites as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123