Thread: Ruger American Rimfire 22LR LOP

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ruger American Rimfire 22LR LOP

I am looking at the Ruger American (Bolt action) in 22LR with the 18" threaded barrel. Ruger makes the standard model and compact model. Both have the 18" barrel and seem to be the same except the LOP and OAL. The standard is 37" OAL with 13.75" LOP and the compact is 35" with 12.5" LOP.

I did handle the guns in the store and both felt ok with the LOP. But shooting them off the bench or in the field walking when hunting squirrels and racoons maybe a different story. As a reference point I use the AR carbine on the second or third notch for the stock depending on iron sights or a scope. I'm fairly tall 6'3" and 190. I also hate the rifle length stocks on the AR.

Any recommendations on which stock since I've never shot a ruger rifle. I did measure my shotguns and remington 700's and the LOP were 14+ inches but those are different than a small 22lr. I didn't know if the LOP even matters on a .22 LR since there's no recoil.

Any info pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    -Ace
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Another question.

Does anyone know if the stocks are the same on both models, and if it is just the replaceable rubber buttstock pad that changes the LOP? Or are the stocks entirely different, where changing the rubber butt stock wouldnt change the LOP?

It would be nice if the stocks were the same where you could just add the different butt pad for a longer LOP. Kind of like the magpul hunter stock.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Update.

I called around today and found out that the two stocks are identical. The only thing that changes the LOP is the modular buttstock which can be changed out easily. Buttstocks cost about $15 so it's a win win situation. If I don't like the LOP then I can change it.

Maybe this will help someone's decision making on which rifle to buy, and save someone sometime with research if someone in the future has the same question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info. My daughter is getting old enough to have her first .22. I'll be taking a closer look at the American because of that feature and the threaded barrel.