Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard Armor Shoulder Plates

Feedback Score

Hard Armor Shoulder Plates

This is new so many of you have probably not yet seen this but I figure many of you would like to see it. This is the worlds only Level III deltoid protection system providing protection to the upper body / vital organs from lateral impacts. The Level III version only weighs 1 pound and can stop multiple hits from 5.56 / 7.62 / .308
    The Level III+ version weighs .25 lbs more and picks up the M855 (Greentip). www.hoplitearmor.com

Here is the press release...

Hoplite Armor, LLC, announced the release of the new patent pending HASP (Hard Armor Shoulder Plate) system. This revolutionary design serves as an up-armor replacement for the current threat level IIIA pistol armor widely used in DAPS and other bicep protection systems by Military and Police agencies throughout the world. The HASP System provides rigid, hard armor threat level III+ rifle protection to the deltoid region in order to prevent injury to the upper body as a result of lateral ballistic rifle impacts. The HASP is supported by a universal and patented plate frame system developed in conjunction with S&S Precision.
    The HASP plates are comprised of a polymer based armor material (UHMWPE) in combination with lightweight ceramics and are extremely lightweight and durable. At a total weight of only 1.1 lbs. per side, including the carrier, the Level III+ HASP system weighs less than existing DAPS IIIA systems yet provides significantly increased levels of rifle, handgun and fragmentation ballistic protection. In addition, the HASP system has been designed in such a way that it mimics the anatomy of the human body, creating a form fitting, ergonomic armor plate which reduces wear stress while improving performance. The HASP system can be integrated into existing DAPS compatible carrier systems, as well as the Plate Frame Carrier systems. The universal HASP system allows users of existing tactical body armor to improve their gear without having to replace existing carrier systems or armor platforms.
    Sgt. Lonnie Young USMC, Bronze Star and Purple Heart recipient, and security detail for high profile personnel, had the following to say about the HASP system:
    “The Hoplite HASP system is lightweight, comfortable and most of all it’s perfectly suited for urban warfare and is highly effective against rifle rounds. On April 4th, 2004 my team and I were under heavy enemy fire as insurgents attacked the Spanish CPA at An Najaf. While defending the base I was shot in my left shoulder and hit by a piece of shrapnel from another bullet in my left cheek. The bullet tore across my back and stopped just short of my spine. Having the HASP system during the battle would have saved me from injury and would have allowed me to stay in the fight.”
    For more information see www.hoplitearmor.com or call Hoplite Armor direct at 855-ARMOR01
    Facebook: Hoplite Armor
    Instagram: hoplitearmor

Hoplite Armor products can be purchased on-line at www.hoplitearmor.com

prone close up.jpg
    battlerattle.jpg
    mc5.jpg
    HASP SS.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (105.9 KB, 111 views)
    Last edited by lymanbishop; 11-20-15 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Pic 2 shows why I'm not all that hot and bothered to pick them up.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Pic 2 is probably a bit misleading. The plates tend to move with you, so the way I have my arms positioned puts the plates in forward position. Here's a better pic for what you want to see.

kneeling aim 2.jpg

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    I think that they're more effective than side abdominal plates, but I'm not sold that they offer sufficient coverage for the weight and general discomfort.
    If I was wearing full BALCS/SPEAR I'd probably be more interested.

BattleLab/Diamondback did something similar around 05.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    While I like to see companies providing new armor options, these dont do anything for me. I am sure somewhere they have a niche (I could possibly see for police/swat who already wear deltoid soft armor), but for me these would be just one more encumbrance. My experience with wearing armor is that I want less/lighter over more weight. If I had my druthers I would wear just front and back plates w/ soft armor sides, and ditch the extra weight where able. Armor is heavy as it is, my plate carrier with side sapi plates and esapis is ~25-30 lbs w/out water or ammo. Add a hydration bladder (~8lbs), radio(~2lbs), "light weight" helmet(~4.lbs), nvgs(~2lbs) IFAK (~1lb) and 6 mags (~8lbs)... and you are easily looking at 50 lbs. I am in no hurry to throw own any more stuff on my body, especially in an awkward angle. I'd rather save the weight and cash and put the $500 for the pair plus $125 for the shoulder frame towards ammo or a light weight ballistic helmet if you want more coverage somewhere. YMMV

Also, are you affiliated with the company? I saw the same photo above on the website.

Feedback Score
    You would be surprised how well they fit and how comfortable the are. 1 pound per side with a padded interior is hardly noticeable. The curvature makes it highly ergonomic and creates a ballistic advantage due to shape.

Yes, I am affiliated with the company.
    Last edited by lymanbishop; 11-11-15 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    I dont want to derail this thread and get off the delt plates topic but, the 30 lbs + weight is based on the requirement to wear the issued armor/pc/helmet and above listed gear... so that limits the weight savings of lighter plates and what gear I can and cannot shed. If I wasn't required by unit policy to wear half the crap, I certainly wouldn't (7x8 side sapis for example...no thank you!). Absolutely tracking on the lighter weight carriers/plates out there (have a seperate hd set up of a Mayflower APC w/ velocity system plates/backers that are stupid light in comparison and prefer that carrier/plate set up to the above option if given the choice)
    Again, I think the delt plates are a cool idea, certainly not trying to call your baby ugly...If they fit a desire/need, then go for it. i just cant justify utilizing them for my own home defense or work set up.

Feedback Score
    Just wait til you see the new Kevlar shoulders the Army is about to roll out with. Heavier than DAPS without the benefit of greater protection.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lymanbishop View Post
    Just wait til you see the new Kevlar shoulders the Army is about to roll out with. Heavier than DAPS without the benefit of greater protection.
    Oh, wonderful. Of all the things I want to see fielded, more soft armor designed to meet the needs of a non uparmored vehicle convoy crewman circa 2004 was definitely at the top of my list. Meanwhile, half our arms room is still pvs-7's
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The purpose of the plates, clearly, are to protect upper torso vitals from shots to the side of the body - areas left completely open in traditional front/back carriers. While they would accomplish that task more well than plates in your cummerbund, a shoulder plate fills such a small portion of the huge exposed area that many, including myself, wouldn't find it worth the added weight.
    Nobody ever got shot climbing over the wall into East Berlin.

Delivering the most precision possible, at the greatest distance possible, with the highest rate of fire possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast