Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying out of state

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)

buying out of state

so if i travel for a living, how do i purchase a firearm not in my state of residence? it just seems stupid that someone has to be a resident to purchase in-store especially when you come accross a good deal but an ffl is all you need when purchasing online.
    Last edited by HMsailor; 12-02-18 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    See if the Gun dealer is willing to ship to your ffl in your home state. If they are, purchase it and have your ffl send a copy of their license to the dealer in the visiting state.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion." — Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Feedback Score
    What state are you not able to purchase in?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Generally speaking, long guns (rifles or shotguns) can be purchased out of state. Handguns not so much.

"Purchase" being defined as seeing one in a gun shop and deciding you want it. Online purchases are different because they will be sent to your local FFL, so you can buy a handgun also going this route.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    so if i travel for a living, how do i purchase a firearm not in my state of residence? it just seems stupid that someone has to be a resident to purchase in-store especially when you come accross a good deal but an ffl is all you need when purchasing online.
    An out-of-state FFL can send a firearm to an FFL in your state of residence, just like buying a firearm online.

Most FFLs treat AR lowers as pistols and won't sell to a non resident (without transferring to an FFL in your state).

Some dealers won't sell a rifle or shotgun to a non-resident. Their place, their rules.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Mance v. Sessions is a case that might make it to SCOTUS challenging the interstate commerce law that prevents buying a handgun in another state.
    With the current makeup of the court, they might strike it down.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Don’t get in the weeds of current litigation. Current litigation means absolutely nothing at the moment.

A. You cannot buy a handgun and take possession out of state.
    B. You can by a long gun and take possession out of state.
    B. (1) A dealer may elect to not sell or transfer you a gun at all. As another said, their house, their rules.

It’s that simple. Don’t complicate it.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astom22 View Post
    What state are you not able to purchase in?

Nevada. I have a FL DL. but id like to purchase from any gun friendly state I visit. Having it shipped to a FL FFL wont work due to work schedule as I wont know when I will be back home.
    Last edited by HMsailor; 12-02-18 at 20:24.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    Nevada. I have a FL DL. but id like to purchase from any gun friendly state I visit. Having it shipped to a FL FFL wont work due to work schedule as I wont know when I will be back home.
    Find a reputable ffl and have them hold it till you are in town. It seems most small SOT’s will do this to augment the class 3 stuff.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    FFLs cannot sell receivers or handguns directly to a non-resident. They can sell either to a non-resident FFL.

It is permissible to sell a non resident a long gun if it is permissible by local law.

It is illegal for residents of California to purchase any firearm out of state without having it shipped directly to a California FFL for transfer.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast