Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FN SCAR-H Impressions

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I hope they release them to the civie market sometime soon. The SCAR-H is the only semi-auto in .308 I would like to get.
    May 2-2011

Woke up at 7am turned on the TV & saw the news and just smiled ear to ear!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Here's a video of Brett giving info on the SCAR Light.
    http://shock.military.com/Shock/vide...=172738&page=1
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kbi View Post
    I hope they release them to the civie market sometime soon. The SCAR-H is the only semi-auto in .308 I would like to get.
    +1, only 308 I want right now

Feedback Score

Question

I watched the video...

Recoil in FA looks sharp and there appears to be quite a bit of muzzle flip.
    Is it possible that the SCAR-H is not heavy enough for controlled FA fire?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
    I watched the video...

Not to take away from any of the shooters, but the more time you get behind it and get an understanding of how it feels, its very controlable.
    Brett W

Elite Defense
    Vice President of Domestic Sales and Marketing

FN Senior Manager of Assault Weapons - SCAR Program 2006-2010
    Former Troy Industries Inc Director of Operations 2003-2006

Each Warrior wants to leave the mark of his will, his signature, on important acts he touches. This is not the voice of ego but of the human spirit, rising up and declaring that it has something to contribute to the solution of the hardest problems, no matter how vexing!
    -Pat Riley

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by H2O MAN View Post
    I watched the video...

Quote Originally Posted by SinnFéinM1911 View Post
    Not to take away from any of the shooters, but the more time you get behind it and get an understanding of how it feels, its very controlable.
    Agreed.
    It is generally inadvisable to judge a weapons recoil simply by watching others shoot a weapon. The SCAR-H shoots very well, see my comments above.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kal View Post
    This may be a long shot, so here it goes.......

Is it possible that the SCAR-H may come in a version that uses domestic (and probably cheaper) DPMS/SR25 pattern mags? I mean both the scar-h and sr25 mags are straight and lock in like STANAG mags so how much modification would the lower receiver (may be upper too?) need to take sr25 mags?

I'm surprised that the criteria for a special forces 7.62x51mm rifle didn't include the ability to share sr25 mags already in use with the m110 rifles.

Now what kind of price jump do you think would happen if FN wanted to put Knight's mags in a SCAR-H package??? and you thought knight's stuff was expensive now.....

I bet....scratch that, I KNOW that a competent shooter with a very little trigger time will increase hit probability (semi and definately full auto) with the SCAR-H vs your M4, running the same course of fire...and giving an HONEST attempt.
    "-If your afraid to fight, then I guess you never will. "

Remembering Brother's I have lost -
    Sgt Rick Timbrook - EOW 30OCT99
    Deputy Jason Mooney - EOW 19OCT07
    Officer Todd Bahr - EOW 06JUN08

- IN VALOR THERE IS HOPE -

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by .308holes View Post
    I bet....scratch that, I KNOW that a competent shooter with a very little trigger time will increase hit probability (semi and definately full auto) with the SCAR-H vs your M4, running the same course of fire...and giving an HONEST attempt.
    On what are you basing your hypothesis?
    We have generally seen the exact opposite- introduction of a heavier recoiling weapon will generally reduce hit probability until sufficient training has been conducted. Fulll auto fire tends to exascerbate the problem. There are not all that many people that are competant even at close range with full-auto fire, and even fewer that are competant with shoulder-fired 7.62 in full auto.

It has been generally found that lesser recoiling weapons require a shorter training schedule to achieve the same accuracy standards. This is in no way to say that it is not advisable to adopt a bigger caliber, just that training times may need to be extended.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 08-15-08 at 15:03. Reason: F/A
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personal experience. I have done it, and I have seen it done, on a regular basis by shooters that are willing to listen.
    If you look at history and the stance used by EXPEIENCED BAR shooters from WWII, there is a stance used that greatly increased hit probability, it can be used with the SCAR H and SCARSSR with success.
    The SCAR H has a slower rate of fire, if you are firing full auto with an M4, it is difficult to get back on target once the weapon starts to rise, generally after the second or third round of full auto fire. If on the 10 or 15 yard line, fire full auto for a full 30 round magazine, more hits will be scored on the SCAR H than the M4, using the correct stance. I need to emphasize "A COMPETENT SHOOTER" someone who understands and exersizes the proper stance and understands the fundamentals of marksmanship......the little that is used on full auto.
    "-If your afraid to fight, then I guess you never will. "

Remembering Brother's I have lost -
    Sgt Rick Timbrook - EOW 30OCT99
    Deputy Jason Mooney - EOW 19OCT07
    Officer Todd Bahr - EOW 06JUN08

- IN VALOR THERE IS HOPE -

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    308-

I agree that the lower rate of fire is a bonus to the 7.26 when on full auto.
    My comment was more about initial through advanced training issues, of which I am experienced in 5.56 ARs and 7.62 machineguns, not 7.62 assault rifles.

I did not have an issue with the SCAR-H though I have much nore time on the M4 than any 7.62 platform. I definately found the H to be more controllable than the G3.

None the less, if your first-hand training experience indicates that the SCAR-H has increased hit probability over an M4, then I will take your word for it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast