Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rock Island Firearms

Feedback Score

Rock Island Firearms

Anyone have their 1911? Im thinking of picking up one for my first handgun.

ToddG Guest
    I've seen two on the line that I know of.

One wouldn't run through a magazine without suffering a stoppage. The other ran great for about a box and a half of ammo before the hammer sheared in half.

However, a few people here at M4C have relayed much better experiences with their RIAs.

Feedback Score
    So i guess its like everything else ... If you want to go cheap your risking the waste of your money? Right? Like if i were to get a crappy quadrail instead of a Troy or a crapy flashlight instead of surefire.. Samething goes?

ToddG Guest
    It all depends on what you want to do with it and what you expect it to do for you.

There might, by random chance, be a RIA 1911 that comes off the production floor shooting better and lasting longer than your average Wilson Combat or Les Baer. The problem is figuring out how to get that particular RIA 1911 instead of one of the "average" ones. Because I think most would agree that the average Wilson/Baer is going to be many orders of magnitude superior. They'll also be four times as expensive.

There are a whole lot of in-the-trenches people who've found that a $500 Glock works better for them than a $2,000 custom 1911.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I had a RIA I sold earlier this spring. I got it in a trade because of all the rave reviews on the M1911 forum. It is what it is, a low cost 1911 copy. Mine shot great and worked for the few rounds I put through it. I'm not a high speed operator so the RIA worked for me. I had 2 Kimbers and a Charles Daly EMS at the time so I sold off the RIA. The milspec version I had came with small hard to see sights and the grip safety chewed up the web of my hand after about a 200 round range session. I would recommend the RIA tactical version if you go with the RIA. If you are looking for a low cost 1911 to try go for it. RIA is suppose to have great customer service so I've been told. My two cents, I would not get a budget 45 as my first pistol, but that's just me. David

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    i've owned two, at std GI model and the Tactical. both ran fine for me. the only areas i ran into any problems with was parts replacement; while all pin holes, etc seemed straight, more fitting was involved than usual with things light sights, triggers, MSH's, and guide rods. YMMV

Feedback Score
    I buddy of mine got one willed to him by his dad. The trigger pull was different every single time. Nothing that can't be fixed but I wasn't impressed with my first exposure.

Feedback Score
    This is a cheap ($399) range blaster that I just picked up. Made by High Standard, which (as I understand it) comes off the same production line as the Rock Islands. I've been told that the first order of business is to toss the supplied mag into the trash. These have cast frames, barstock slides and supposedly hammer-forged barrels:

Feedback Score
    When i get one ill probably get all black or nickle.

Feedback Score
    I saw two at my local gun shop .. one was nickle and was $480 the other was black and $395 or something like that. THen i looked at the GSR's awwww they are awesome .. id get the full size Rock Island but id get the Compact GSR. Ill Probably just buy the RI because if i dont like it i can sell it and get what i want,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast