Thread: .270 vs level III AR500

Feedback Score

.270 vs level III AR500

A lot of people have been asking for this one so here it is. This is a factory Winchester Super-X 130 gr soft point fired from a Remington 700 against an AR500Armor.com level III plate with the buildup coating. Sorry, no velocity readings as this was an impromptu test, but according to http://www.ballistics101.com/270_winchester.php the velocity should be about 3,060 fps at the muzzle. This plate is rated for M80 ball at 2,750 fps. Feel free to make predictions before watching the test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojaz2pMKlgo

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've watched other tests of it stopping a .300 win mag as well as a .338 (the test dummy was hurt by the impact). So I'll say .270 is no match for ar500.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I'm thinking the smaller diameter and high SD couple with that velocity will slice through it.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 11-12-15 at 15:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalSledgehammer View Post
    I've watched other tests of it stopping a .300 win mag as well as a .338 (the test dummy was hurt by the impact). So I'll say .270 is no match for ar500.
    Were those tests level III or III+? What distance? Do you have a link?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Sectional density wins again.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
    Were those tests level III or III+? What distance? Do you have a link?
    I think there was a post somewhere on here, like in tactical gear maybe, can't recall exactly, some years back, where someone hit an old SAPI plate with a .338 Lapua at 100 yards or meters, and the plate stopped the round. I could believe that an AR550 plate might be able to as well. That said, stopping the bullet, and stopping the trauma are two different things, and I doubt you'd be shrugging off impact. In fact the only thing I could see you shrugging off might the mortal coil from blunt force trauma.

Also, would be interesting to see what a .270 130gr FMJ might do considering the test was done with a soft point. Enjoyable video nonetheless.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah. We have 1/4" Armorgard steel gongs that'll stop about anything. It's just dented when you get a 300 Win Mag strike inside of 300 yards.

One of the more gong damaging rounds for me is XM193 inside of 100 yards. The velocity of that FMJ is a killer on hard armor.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Is this the one you're talking about?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewWiggin View Post
    Is this the one you're talking about?

I stand by my, if may stop it, but you are still probably going to die comment.

This was actually what I was referring to. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...iptions/page19
    No video, just pictures. Post 371
    Last edited by Kain; 11-14-15 at 23:35. Reason: Link didn't post in original post.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink