Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCAR 17 SBR, and I mean Sbr!!

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

SCAR 17 SBR, and I mean Sbr!!

I have a couple of Scar 17’s. I’d like to set one up for HD purpose. My thoughts below. Any advice appreciated.

SBR.. all the way down to 10.5”. I know, I know.
    In order to give the bullet a full rotation prior to leaving the barrel the new barrel will be 1:10 twist instead of the current 1:12 twist. The gas jet will also be adjusted accordingly.

The BOOM.. it will be suppressed 100% of the time with a DeadAir can. Haven’t decided on Sandman vs Nomad nor have I decided on length. I’m open to suggestions.

OPTIC.. I’m struggling a bit here. On my other 17, I have the NF ATACR 1-8, absolutely love it.
    For a little variety, I’m definitely leaning toward an ELCAN 7.62 1.5-6x. While for HD the 6x would be useless, I like the idea of having the 6x for trips to the range at longer distance.

Thoughts?

Not mine, but... I love this setup..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by RIDE; 09-07-20 at 14:01.
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    With .308 out of a suppressed 10.5" barrel your home is going to have a hell of a mess to clean up......... You'll need to choose ammo wisely to avoid hitting the neighbors next-door.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would at least go 12.5...I cut mine down to min & pinned the hider.

Can't imagine the flash that thing is going to have.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE View Post
    I’d like to set one up for HD purpose.

For a little variety, I’m definitely leaning toward an ELCAN 7.62 1.5-6x.
    Variety has nothing to do with HD.

Aimpoint RDS, light, suppressor, that's it.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post

I meant as it relates to the ATACR. I love that thing, and at 1x magnification, it would work for HD, I just don’t want 2 of them. I mention ELCAN because of its addition versatility when not in the house at 1.5x illuminated.

The boom and flash is a concern. Anyone have experience with a SUPPRESSED 10.5” .308, that can comment on the concussion, especially indoor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Support the NRA

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Bingo was him name oh!!!

I don't know why you need a 308 for HD, but go for it. Thats spicey.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-07-20 at 19:03.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have a nomad and I love it. It adds almost exactly 6" to OAL if you use the keymo adapter and run the E-Brake. So your 10.5 will be the same length as the factory 16", but it will be suppressed and much much cooler. I have no experience with a .308 rifle that short. Works great with 5.56 at that length.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I guess I just see it as pointless exercise - I say that owning a 13" SCAR 17; HD is not a role I would put it into (unless it was the only rifle I owned).

Controllability, weight, blast, etc just favor an SBR in 5.56.

Of course do as you please but realize you are chasing a rabbit for fun and not any realistic reason.

Good luck, have fun.

Feedback Score
    I guess I just see it as pointless exercise - I say that owning a 13" SCAR 17; HD is not a role I would put it into (unless it was the only rifle I owned).

Controllability, weight, blast, etc just favor an SBR in 5.56.

Of course do as you please but realize you are chasing a rabbit for fun and not any realistic reason.

Good luck, have fun.
    It certainly wouldn't be my first pick, but I think there will be an appreciable difference in muzzle energy, even vs 300 blackout at the same barrel length. Best data I can find with a quick google is 110 grain at 2200fps (1180ftlb) for 300, 150 grain at 2270fps (1700ftlb) for .308. My 10.5 with can shooting wolf 55 grain chronos at 2750fps (924ftlb) for comparison. No lake city number yet, I need to get the chrono back out.

Now of course, whether or not that extra energy is worth the extra blast a volume is going to be up to the individual to decide. OP is at least planning on going with a can, so that will help immensely.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have to think this thing was developed for something extremely specific. Perhaps an airborne or covert purpose where they needed something ultra compact that could be employed for long range use once on the ground. Or maybe they needed something with extra penetration at close range.

For home defense, though, it's absolutely the wrong tool for the job. That cartridge is primarily useful for long range (past 300 meters), and somewhat useful for penetrating barriers at close range. Neither of which apply to home defense.

As far as getting the job done at close range, 5.56 is more than sufficient. If you google something along the lines of "5.56 wounds" I'm sure you'll agree. 7.62 is only going to get you ten times the felt recoil, three times the cost for ammo, a lot more noise, and a lot more liability in terms of overpenetration.

Get a Mk18 or Commando with a K can and be done with it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast