Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Minimalist vehicle survival/get home kit

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Limp indeed.

I've had just about the worst luck with vehicles, from double-blowouts, to hoses busting.

I left a compressor off the list, assuming everyone has one. Did I mention my horrible luck with vehicles?

I should've mentioned a spare belt. Your accessory belt goes out, and your car is worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MorphCross View Post
    What you should choose will depend on your habits as well as your locale. Do you travel by major interstate or do you frequent less traveled routes? What is the weather like throughout the year in these areas you travel in this vehicle? What is the terrain like? What is cell service like throughout the route?

Outlander covers most of basic items that will allow you to limp your commuter vehicle back home.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 11-15-15 at 18:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Limp indeed.

I've had just about the worst luck with vehicles, from double-blowouts, to hoses busting.

I left a compressor off the list, assuming everyone has one. Did I mention my horrible luck with vehicles?

I should've mentioned a spare belt. Your accessory belt goes out, and your car is worthless.
    My truck that I take to the desert and is the "bug out vehicle" of choice also has a compressor and nearly all of the other items in your list and then some. I, too, have had a double blow out. Worse, on another trip, with two spares, I got three flats. Good thing I had a plug kit and compressor. After that, I started running only ten-ply tires.

The reason for this thread is that I am having a hard time paring the list down for my grocery getter (Mazda CX-5). I want it all to fit in the storage area where the spare tire is. Because it's a city driver and because I'll grab a 72 hour bag for road trips, I feel like I don't need too much stuff. Thanks everyone for the replies, and please keep them coming!

Feedback Score

Minimalist vehicle survival/get home kit

I mean damn where are you going lol . I'd think a few items would sufic . Jumpers , light , gas can , small compressor , and this
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447643141.728772.jpgwitch is not mine but I'm setting up one now with basic
    " small " survival tools ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447643219.832003.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447643227.382745.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447643243.700888.jpg

Sent from my rocket ship using
    My cell'y
    Last edited by bigjack7440; 11-15-15 at 21:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsunsurf View Post
    My truck that I take to the desert and is the "bug out vehicle" of choice also has a compressor and nearly all of the other items in your list and then some. I, too, have had a double blow out. Worse, on another trip, with two spares, I got three flats. Good thing I had a plug kit and compressor. After that, I started running only ten-ply tires.

The reason for this thread is that I am having a hard time paring the list down for my grocery getter (Mazda CX-5). I want it all to fit in the storage area where the spare tire is. Because it's a city driver and because I'll grab a 72 hour bag for road trips, I feel like I don't need too much stuff. Thanks everyone for the replies, and please keep them coming!
    You can cram a lot of stuff in the door pockets of a 4 door vehicle. I know I have on my VW.

Are you flying solo or are you a family man? If the latter don't forget stuff for the kids.

While I get where Outlander is coming from about the serpentine belt, have you seen where yours is on you FWD Mazda? Think you're gonna change that on the side of the road in the desert heat? If so you're a better man than me...
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    - Crowbar, always useful
    Crowbar? Psssh, FUBAR FTW:
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5qiiw4agos_b
    If you can't win a gun fight against a lightly-trained individual during broad daylight with 88 rounds of 30-06, I'm not sure you'd be able to do it with... any other firearm.
    -Fjallhrafn
    Ok, I've got an El Camino full of rampage here, so what's the plan?

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post
    I have one of those in each vehicle......
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Referencing the sap above. One of the 21 inch ASP type expandable batons would also be effective. Can be used expanded or closed if the need requires. Saps are illegal in some states such as mine, but I can have a baton.
    Last edited by Vandal; 11-17-15 at 18:40.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Hell yes!

Quote Originally Posted by Big A View Post

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Any good compact/light bolt cutters anyone can recommend?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Any good compact/light bolt cutters anyone can recommend?
    No personal experience with any of these, (yet) but there is so pretty high rated stuff on here

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...t+%2Caps%2C227

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Support the NRA

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast