Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ** Updated - Pics Pg 4 ** Where are my Ruger 10/22 people? Buy new or assemble?

Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone! Very helpful stuff! I like the reviews on the Kidd trigger.

Found this - looks like this will be easy enough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qyd76aWYVg

Thanks again.
    Last edited by El Cid; 11-16-15 at 14:34.
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    10/22's can do surprisingly well. Shooting mate of mine just scored a great priced volquartsen factory gun from GB a couple months ago and kicked ass the last couple times in the 22 steel dog challenge shoot we do monthly. Making the bolt guys a little envious and nervous as he took first both times. Biggest bitch so far is cleaning it, but it does have the rear hole drilled in the receiver to take a cleaning rod through the breech.

Another guy is running a full tacsol AR upper with a geissele SSA. He does ok but nothing like the bolts or volquartson. He also says the trigger starts to get real gritty around 200 rounds from all the 22 debris dumping in the trigger area after the shot. I think I'd rather have a dedicated 10/22 rig after hearing about his issues.

That Gem-tech Mist 22, looks like 8" of barrel and 8" of suppressor in one piece, that is going to be quiet and easily maneuvered.

Also looks like there is a relief screw port about 3.5" from the breach dumping into the shroud. I am assuming that is for shooting HV ammo and dumping pressure at that point keeps it from going supersonic. Same trick used by ruger and browning for their .22 pistols with the short 4 - 4.5" threaded barrels. Looks a lot like the Hunter town arms fusion22 with a better monocore.

Tell us how easy this is to clean when you get to play with it and what type of accuracy you get.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    10/22 is just a great rifle. I have my very first one and my current "go to" 10/22 which is a takedown suppressed version. Not sure if you plan on hunting with this but if you do - my recommendations shooting suppressed is to stick with the 1050 velocity over the 970 or below variety. The terminal effects are notable improved at 1050. The accuracy from my stock barrel are surprising. I would share my longest shot on a squirrel this season but no one would believe me. The suppressor takes the hunting to a new level of fun.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    Good info again - thank you gents! Tigershilone, it is pretty much half bbl and half can. It has significantly more volume than most 22 cans and in the videos I've found it sounds about as loud as a stapler (hard to say for sure in a video of course). One shooter even reported an RO coming over and voicing concern over all the misfires he was having. lol! I have an Outback already and it's quiet so I am confident that the Mist will be even more quiet.

New question... got an email back from Tactical Solutions. Their X-ring receiver is only available with a 15MOA slope on the top rail. I can't imagine shooting this thing beyond 100 +/- yards. Is the slope going to have a negative effect up close? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Good info again - thank you gents! Tigershilone, it is pretty much half bbl and half can. It has significantly more volume than most 22 cans and in the videos I've found it sounds about as loud as a stapler (hard to say for sure in a video of course). One shooter even reported an RO coming over and voicing concern over all the misfires he was having. lol! I have an Outback already and it's quiet so I am confident that the Mist will be even more quiet.

New question... got an email back from Tactical Solutions. Their X-ring receiver is only available with a 15MOA slope on the top rail. I can't imagine shooting this thing beyond 100 +/- yards. Is the slope going to have a negative effect up close? Thanks.
    Depends on whether or not your build has any barrel droop. That's less likely if you use a non-Ruger receiver but still can happen.

I love the 10-22. I built this one off of an old $60 used receiver I found sitting in a drawer at my LGS. It's the only Ruger part on it. I'm a huge fan of Kidd. If I was doing it today, now that suppressors are legal in Minnesota, I'd have bought the barrel threaded. The Volquartsen trigger group is really nice, but definitely not nicer than the Kidd at about 1/2 the price.

Last edited by Hmac; 11-17-15 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have been wanting to build a 10/22 also, just have no idea where to start. I will be following this thread closely

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    Whatever you do get a Kidd trigger assy! http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Sing...p-In_p_29.html Kidds are the best triggers for ruger period. (I like volquartsen components, but Kidd triggers beat em hands down)

The trigger is the most important part of the 10/22 after a great barrel. Just go ahead and get the full metal one listed above, it's a single stage that can go from 1.5 - 5lbs. I don't how he can sell them so cheap, the machine work is flawless, the feel fantastic, and finish is beautiful as well.
    On sale for $199 is cheap? That's more than what I paid for a complete 10/22!

Whether you should buy or build is a matter of simple economics. Since you already know know you'll be buying the barrel & stock separately, compare the cost of the receiver with bolt to what you'd be paying for a whole rifle and go from there. While you haven't indicated that you're committed to an aftermarket trigger pack, chances are you will end up wanting to replace the factory trigger if you buy a complete rifle
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post

You will be amazed how far out your can shoot .22 accurately. We regularly hit from 35 to 200 yards on our monthly steel match.

15 MOA is middle of the road for slope on aftermarket 10/22 receiver rails, most are 0, 10 or 20 MOA. I wouldn't hesitate to get a 15 MOA rail. Most QUALITY scopes should give you good bit of elevation adjustment. The SWFA 3-15 I use has 36 mils of elevation which is way over 100 MOA. Once the scope is sighted in close shots are no problem either (it's all dope)

something to consider, Grant has this: http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin...ategory%3DGSAL

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenromeo View Post
    I have been wanting to build a 10/22 also, just have no idea where to start. I will be following this thread closely
    Watch the video in post #11 and then pic out a receiver and have it shipped to your local FFL.

I was just doing a little browsing on google and I found a company that offers an 80% 10/22 receiver.

http://www.ruger1022receiver.com/
    I don't collect guns, I accumulate them

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    On sale for $199 is cheap? That's more than what I paid for a complete 10/22!
    Cheaper than most Geisseles for AR's. A Geissele is just the spring, hammer, disconnect and trigger, the Kidd is a complete drop in unit in a beautifully machined housing and the break is equivalent to a SSA-E in my opinion. That being said, I hate Geissele now for spoiling me in how I think a trigger should feel, if I can get that type of feel in the 10/22 I'm doing it, and Kidd is a lot cheaper than volquartsen for the trigger pack.

Where you want to spend your hobby dollars?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast