Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Body Armor Q&A

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Is Dyneema a good material for plates? The reason I ask is that I saw a 10X12 level 3+ at 4.25 lbs and price is right within my price range.
    Thanks!

PS: nice helmets you have on Hopelite

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by texancarbine73 View Post
    Is Dyneema a good material for plates? The reason I ask is that I saw a 10X12 level 3+ at 4.25 lbs and price is right within my price range.
    Thanks!

That's like asking if goretex the best. It is if you get Arcteryx or outdoor reaserch, but not some unknown house brand with goretex fabric. Dyneema is just a material. What really matters is how it's utilitized and the engineering put behind it to utilize it's strengths and minimize it's weaknesses. In the climbing world there are times when you want Dyneema and times you want nylon instead. Some products excel under certain circumstances and fail under others. Dyneema is certainly one of those when it comes to climbing. I can not speak to armor however and it very well could be number one.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    That's like asking if goretex the best. It is if you get Arcteryx or outdoor reaserch, but not some unknown house brand with goretex fabric. Dyneema is just a material. What really matters is how it's utilitized and the engineering put behind it to utilize it's strengths and minimize it's weaknesses. In the climbing world there are times when you want Dyneema and times you want nylon instead. Some products excel under certain circumstances and fail under others. Dyneema is certainly one of those when it comes to climbing. I can not speak to armor however and it very well could be number one.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    Thanks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texancarbine73 View Post
    Thanks!

Dyneema and Honeywell both make similar materials. I personally dont have a preferrence between the two, but if you are comparing them to other materials currently available my short answer is yes, they are the best. Some threats require a bit more (ceramic) but in the end PE (Dyneema / HW) are always used as a backer in high end composite armors.

I appreciate the compliments on the helmets. We get those through Armor Source and they are, in my opinion, the best helmets available on the market. Made in the USA with high grade PE. I have tried to price them as low as anyone else in an effort to provide high end helmets to US citizens, police and military. We dont even mark up the price of accessories.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Very interesting.
    If you have time for more Q&A
    Can you rate the top three Ceramic Plate makers, one being the best?
    Can you rate the top three Steel Plate makers, one being the best?
    These days most companies, even the big ones, buy their plates from third party manufacturers such as Hesco Armor, LTC, and a few others. Your best bet is to find a reputable distributor that has the knowledge to go into detail and help you find the right set up for you. I personally prefer Hesco Armor which is why I distribute for them. Look around and make some calls. There are a number of distributors that sell high end products to law abiding US Citizens.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lymanbishop View Post
    Dyneema and Honeywell both make similar materials. I personally dont have a preferrence between the two, but if you are comparing them to other materials currently available my short answer is yes, they are the best. Some threats require a bit more (ceramic) but in the end PE (Dyneema / HW) are always used as a backer in high end composite armors.

I appreciate the compliments on the helmets. We get those through Armor Source and they are, in my opinion, the best helmets available on the market. Made in the USA with high grade PE. I have tried to price them as low as anyone else in an effort to provide high end helmets to US citizens, police and military. We dont even mark up the price of accessories.
    Thanks!! It's awesome to have someone with your knowledge here!!
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12