Thread: Linking to article etiquette question

Feedback Score

Linking to article etiquette question

I belong to several forums, and all have from slightly to hugely different ROE. My question is what is M4C's approach to linking to off site information, articles, videos, commentary?

Some prefer a link and then for you, the poster, to summarize what the link goes to. Others will allow you to link and then cut a paste the intro or closing of the article linked to. A couple will not let you link at all.

I know M4C does not follow the last approach, but what is the preferred method?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan_Bell View Post
    I belong to several forums, and all have from slightly to hugely different ROE. My question is what is M4C's approach to linking to off site information, articles, videos, commentary?

Some prefer a link and then for you, the poster, to summarize what the link goes to. Others will allow you to link and then cut a paste the intro or closing of the article linked to. A couple will not let you link at all.

I know M4C does not follow the last approach, but what is the preferred method?
    Good question. I know that I personally prefer the OP to cut and paste the article here instead of having people clink on links to whereever.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Good question. I know that I personally prefer the OP to cut and paste the article here instead of having people clink on links to whereever.

C4
    I agree, If have to bounce around to other sites Ill just hit the back button and move on.

Feedback Score
    I cut and paste the text, and also provide a link. I provide the link so people can verify the news source.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    I cut and paste the text, and also provide a link. I provide the link so people can verify the news source.

Joe Mamma
    That's what I do...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post

Joe Mamma
    I prefer this as well, it's more "academic" especially with the person emphasizing relevant points in a citation that he/she find interesting.

I don't like it when people just give you a link to back up an argument without giving any context/indications of relevance.

The citation/link is equally important as it gives you a means with which to vet the information though the "link:" command. and review footnotes/bibliography (if available).
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen