Thread: Buffer tube to lower fit ??

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Buffer tube to lower fit ??

I have an AERO X15 lower and VLTOR A5 buffer tube.

When I screw this thing in WITHOUT end plate and castle nut... should it be tight or is being able to push it vertically up or 'wiggle' it normal. My last lower was DD and whatever G&R sent me for buffer tube , etc. I don;t remember how it fit or if I examined it to to any great degree.

This is my 'learner' for tolerance stacking, etc..

The reason I ask, is that I don't recall this play but at the same time I don't know if the fit is supposed to be like a precision bolt in a nut.

Concern? or rock on?
    Last edited by tb-av; 11-29-15 at 21:53.

Feedback Score
    How much play is there?

Feedback Score
    Most all threaded fasteners whether it being a bolt or tube have some play if not torqued or locked down into position.
    If you can thread a fastener in by hand or fingers, it will have lateral play, more so then if you have to wrench it into place.

When you add the nut to the bolt, the lateral play goes away.
    If you torque the fastener down until it stops, the lateral play goes away.
    Installing a threaded tube into a threaded receiver is the same, if not torqued with a form of resistance then it will have lateral play, therefore the castle nut to take the play away.

Think of it this way.
    You have a male thread entering a female thread with tolerances, therefore the movement, if the tolerance is too tight ,then you have less movement.
    When you apply the castle nut and properly torqued, you are basically trying to pull the male threaded tube out of the female threaded receiver, which causes everything to snug up/cinch down, and all movement goes away.

Tried my best to describe it

So yes, there will be some movement until the castle nut is properly applied.

Clarence
    Lija 4 groove AR24 1:8 twist
    BCM4 upper and BCG
    Anderson lower
    Geissele Hi-Speed National Match - Match Rifle trigger
    Leupold MK AR 6-18x40mm

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Ok, yes, that makes sense. It's hard to say how much it moves.. only that I can noticeably move it... maybe a 1/32? I did receive a castle nut today so when I screwed that on, it's threads fit tighter. However when I screwed it down, not torqued, just hand tight... the tube became solid in the lower.... so it must be ok.

Thanks!

TB