Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington 870 wingmaster

Feedback Score
    The Wingmaster is superior to the Express! I received a 12 Gauge Wingmaster Magnum from my Stepfather when I was 12. I later stupidly sold it when I needed money really badly. I kick myself almost everyday for that.

Feedback Score
    Norva,

What does your barrel say on it? Does it say "2 3/4-in. Only"? Or words to that effect? Or does it say "3-in."?

Does it say Wingmaster of Wingmaster Magnum on the receiver?

Old Wingmasters are all steel, including the trigger groups, and are usually much smoother than Express (particularly) and newer 870Ps.

I purchased my old Narcotics Unit Wingmaster Magnum after the department traded it. It is slick as a greased weasel from being fired and dry-fired thousands of times by yours truly while it was a department gun.

The test for a slick 870: hold it barrel up and press the slide release, it ought to drop open like it's rails are greased glass.

870s are like Harleys and 1911s, all kinds of way to customize.

Just get a new, shorter barrel for defense work. You can buy a barrel straight from Hans Vang if you want tight patterns.

If you subscribe to the buckshot should spread like peanut butter school you'll want a barrel with no choke, marked "Cyl." or "Cyl. Bore".

All our new 870Ps, both 18 and 14-in. are "IC", for improved cylinder choke. Most will keep a 9-pellet Remington Low Recoil load on a B27 at 25 yards. That's more than good enough for government (or private work).

Given my druthers, I prefer zero or spreader choke with full-power buck loads that spread.

You should also try a telescoping stock before you buy one.

There's nothing wrong with a blued gun with a shortened wood stock (13-in. LOP max) for defense work.

If you really want to go tacticool experiment with Krylon first. That's what the real deal guys do in theater.

Shoot lots of clay birds to slick up your gun if it isn't. I highly recommend wobble trap/quail walk courses if you can find them. Makes you learn to pump fast while the gun is shouldered and make a second hit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12