Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms SG 553 R (7.62x39)

Feedback Score
    I figured I might as well post here as well:

I have a question concerning green cheek rests if someone could possibly help.

Mr Vickers seemed to have had one in his 553R video, but where in the world could one of these be found -preferably new?

Also, I have one of the older WEZ "triple diamond" green ones, but know little to nothing about them or their years of manufacture -and Guisan's knowledge is no longer.. Any information concerning these would be greatly appreciated as well.
    Here's a dusty pic!

Attachment 54575

Feedback Score
    JDI has had them. Gunfactory.ch had them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The diameter at the threads is 0.615". The outside diameter of the shoulder is 0.787". The length from the muzzle to the shoulder is 0.64". Based on mine, I think the shims should fit.

If you can afford the 553R, then get it. I have it and several Arsenal AK's. There is no comparison when it comes to quality and reliability.
    Thanks for the info. I’ll make a decision after I see what comes out at the SHOT Show. I also want a 5.56 NATO SBR, and I value that over another caliber. I have a SCAR-H, and it’s a very effective hog hunting rifle IMHO. A 7.62x39 Russian Sig 553 would be the icing on the cake though (and pretty cool to own.....at least until a miracle occurs and we can get our hands on Sako M92s).

Feedback Score
    Concerning the gas valve, Who is using the 1.4,1.5,1.3,1.2 that it was shipped with (at least mine did), and has anyone used the
    2.3,2.5,1.5,X that is shown in the manual -and on Dave's web page?

(Bret)
    After seeing the Hogue on Gunfactory.ch, I used it as opposed to a different grip. It's not bad..

Anyone actually gotten a green cheek rest from JDI or gunfactory.ch? Gunfactory is out, and is listed as "aftermarket"?? I haven't heard back from Dave concerning these either..
    Last edited by sigswiss; 04-02-19 at 11:05.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sigswiss View Post
    Concerning the gas valve, Who is using the 1.4,1.5,1.3,1.2 that it was shipped with (at least mine did)
    Me and it runs on the 1.2 setting.

and has anyone used the 2.3,2.5,1.5,X that is shown in the manual -and on Dave's web page?
    That's for the 553R SB (short barrel). I definitely wouldn't use that on a 553R LB.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Bret,
    Senior moment on the SB gas valve..
    After looking at the paper manual that came with the 553RP, it has a separate sheet showing the existing gas valve settings: 1.4,1.5,1.3,1.2. I had been referring to the online PDF which is outdated (concerning the gas valve) for these 553RP's.

The thing that was confusing me was that JDI has the "old" gas valve (2.3,2.5,1.5,X) for sale on his website which is the same as the "old" PDF version for the 553R that I had been referring to..
    Bottom line is that the gas valve settings have been changed on our newer "Gen 2" 553R's, and the X doesn't exist for silencer use with "no self load function".

If you are still looking for a flash hider, "brick" on gunbroker makes some that are very similar to the SIG FH's. I've used a few of them for 922(r) compliance parts (no, your not alone!). They have 2 ports on each side and blocked off at the top. This works for me as rifles this length would not be used in the prone position anyway. On the 751 though, I positioned the blocked off portion on the bottom before pinning it, so as not to kick up dust.

Feedback Score
    Here's a video of the 553R.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odt1nMWh7Ro

Quote Originally Posted by sigswiss View Post
    If you are still looking for a flash hider, "brick" on gunbroker makes some that are very similar to the SIG FH's.
    I bought one and put it on. It looks great. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Thread resurrection. JDI has these in stock again. Questions:

1. What suppressors are you running and what gas valve setting?

2. Is the bolt larger than the 551/550 bolt or did Sig do what they did with their MCX LT 7.62x39 model and make the wall thickness thinner to keep the same receiver profile? Scroll to 9 minutes to see what I am talking about:

https://youtu.be/rJ1zB5Nomb8

3. What type of accuracy with good ammo? 2 MOA is all I am asking for this gun

Thanks
    Last edited by MadAngler1; 02-13-23 at 17:07. Reason: add link

Feedback Score
    All Sig 55X guns are over gassed. They must design them to run at -20F using the weakest ammunition available. I don't run a suppressor, but I can for sure say that you'll need to run it on the lowest setting as they run on that setting without a suppressor. In particular, my 553R tosses spent cases about 10yds when on the 1.2 setting.

You're overthinking the bolt wall thickness thing. The AK was designed for 7.62x39 and doesn't have near as many thin points. Plus, these parts go much further back on the bolt. I'm sure that it's happened, but I've never heard of an AK type bolt breaking in a similar manner to how 7.62x39 AR15 bolts can shear a lug.

5.56x45 vs 7.62x39

7.62x39 over 5.56x45

BTW, the bolt stems are the same diameter.

I'm sure that it's capable of 2 MOA with high quality ammunition. Unfortunately, I've only used the Russian and Ukranian stuff which itself isn't that capable.

One point to note, I did have some light primer strikes when I first started out. It turned out that a lot of Wolf Ukranian ammunition that I was using had really hard primers. They'd go off 100% using any AK, but were not 100% with the 553R. Once I figured it out, I had no more issues with a variety of ammunition. It's not likely that you'll encounter this particular ammunition again as the Russians destroyed the factory about five years ago.

Finally, don't hesitate. Buy it. While you're at it, buy the buttstock and cheek rest. You'll likely have to wait a while for them, but we can provide the measurements you need for your Form 1. The cheek rest will put your eyes at the perfect height for your optic. My 55X rifles are literally the best that I have ever experienced when it comes to a good cheek rest for a military style rifle.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for the quick reply.

I will definitely submit a form 1 if I buy this. There is no point otherwise. I have both a spare green adjustable Swiss stock and the Swiss made AR stock adapter for my 551's. Combine one of those stocks with a Shooting sight hammer, sear, Hogue pistol grip, Magpul AK magazine, that easily gets me to 6-7 922R parts I need, depending on how you count the trunnion in the parts count (since it is welded to the receiver). Dimensions are more than welcome.

I wish someone could get their hands on spare bolts, springs, gas tubes, etc.

Is the lowest setting on yours 0.9 or 1.2 mm? Seems like it would benefit from an OSS can, which frankly stinks on barrels shorter than 14.5-16" in my experience.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast