Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Swiss Arms SG 553 R (7.62x39)

Feedback Score
    OK. So I got the second 553R and I SBRed it. I got the tax stamp in record time, 11 days to be exact. Insane but I love it.

Here it is with all of the 922R parts installed (US magazine (3), Hogue pistol grip, BCM AR stock, OSS flash hider, shooting sight hammer, shooting sight sear). Per the BATF letters I have seen, you need 7 to be compliant on a 553 with a threaded muzzle. I put a BCM stock on it for now, but I'm going to try a green Magpul DT stock, just because I think all Swiss Sigs need some green on them. Also attached is a B&T handguard and a Swiss downward sloping charging handle (C&H Precision I believe).

IMG_0166.jpg

It runs 100% with Magpul MOE and M3 magazines shooting brass cased ammo (123 gr FMJ and Hornady SST 123 grain). I use the 1.4 mm gas setting with the OSS can. Good ejection no FTFs. The gun does not like Tula, but it will take Golden Tiger. I have yet to open up one of my Barnaul cans for good reason.

The BUIS are nothing to root about but get the job done. Harder to get behind compared to an AR.

I installed my Steiner P4x with a Reptilia mount. I really like this mount despite the lack of QD capability. Very slick, steam lined but yet robust.

Bad news: Even on adverse setting 1.5 mm, it will not cycle Hornady 255 gr subsonics. Also, this rifle runs dirtier than my suppressed Galil ACEs. Must be the design. The 553R also feels 1-2 lbs heavier than my Galil ACE SBR. I will eventually weigh both to compare.

Now, back to the first 553R I picked up. I fixed the magazine release issue by filing the magazine release latch on the inside of the receiver (not the receiver itself but the steel latch). It releases smoothly now. I'm keeping this 553R as a spare anyway for parts. It's my policy on all of these sorts of rare birds.

All in all, I will lug the 553R with my beloved Galil ACE SBR whenever I get a chance to shoot them. I think the Galil ACE is still more robust and lighter (eats everything I feed it), but the Sig 553R is nice because of the flat top rail and because I can easily use a scope with it. Time will tell which I prefer (work gets in the way darn it).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Fantastic. I have a 553 (in 556) and a Galil Ace in 762x39 so I have always wished I had a 553R. Keep us posted!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I have both as well. The Galil Ace is certainly the better value, but I'd have to give the overall edge to the 553R. I'm glad that I have both.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got both as well. The 553 R is definitely finicky was mags. It is really fun to shoot suppressed though and really is cool. The Ace just runs everything and anything. Of course, the ACE extracts to the moon.

Feedback Score
    Both are over gassed. Fortunately, the 553R comes with a 4-position gas valve. Mine runs 100% on the lowest setting. I'd advise getting a KNS piston for the Ace. It really tames the ejection.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I put the kns in my ace and it is freaky light kicking. Really transformed the gun.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry it took so long to circle back. Work gets in the way.

Agree. KNS pistons are a must for any Galil ACE rifle. Makes it a completely different rifle. I honestly feel that the Galil ACE Gen 1 is a superior rifle to any of the custom makes out there (Rifle Dynamics, Meridian Defense, etc). You get a CHF chrome lined barrel, milled receiver, picatinny top cover, etc. It's a bomb proof rifle, and I wish IMI would give us more spare parts like bolts, bolt carriers etc. I own a SAM-5 pimped up by RD, and I prefer the ACE to it. The Gen 2 ACE is too bulky and the AR stock adapter they use looks dumb. Gen 1 much nicer, although I wish they would offer a flip up rear sight to go with a permanent front sight. Would be the best solution for both worlds.

Anyhow, I'll try to take my 553R to the 100 yard range close to me in the next couple of months to zero the scope and for accuracy testing. Yes PNorris, the 553R prefers Magpuls and Bulgarian Waffle Circle 10s. It does not feed well with Warsaw pact spec steel magazines, Serbian, Croatian or with Bulgarian commercial spec polymer magazines I have tried. I think it has to do with the 55x's feed ramp design. They really needed a bullet guide like an AK. They can't feed 7.62x39 out of AK magazines like they can feed 5.56 out of Sig spec magazines. Different animal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    KNS pistons are a must for any Galil ACE rifle.
    I have an almost complete collection of Gen 1 Ace's, so I'll add some more information. Every Ace that I have is over gassed except for the 13" and 8" 5.45x39's which are perfectly gassed as is. Oddly, my 308Win chambered SBR seems to be under gassed, though it hasn't choked on me yet. So, if you get an Ace, you should pretty much plan on buying a KNS piston. Shoot it first though just to be sure.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789