Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Arms SG 553 R (7.62x39)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am getting this one. https://www.silencershop.com/griffin...t-review-block I am pretty sure, however, that any good 30 Caliber suppressor will work. This one just had some really good reviews and I liked the QD system it comes with the muzzle device. You can also use the suppressor on 5.56 rifles as well.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Griffin is close to releasing a shorter version of the 30SD, which will be the same length (or very close) to the M4SD.

Feedback Score
    I took my Sig 553R SBR to the range today to test its function with the new trigger group and SBR configuration. It ran 100% with 120rds of Wolf 125gr FMJ (copper jacket). The trigger is still just as heavy, but it's smoother and breaks very nicely. I couldn't be more pleased.

Feedback Score
    Beautiful rifle. What is the muzzle flash like? I've watched a few videos with 12.5" AMD-65, and it was really something, but it had muzzle break that directs the blast to the sides. SG553 R has similar barrel length... Ordinary 16" barrel AK with a flash hider like bird cage or Fighter break is a pleasant shooting even indoors. I've watched Lary Vickers SG553 RP video and it seemed in the slow motion detail that the flash hider works pretty well.
    Last edited by morho; 12-15-18 at 06:23.

Feedback Score
    Thanks. Right now it's a flame thrower because I don't have a flash hider installed. I have to install a US made one in order to keep it sec922(r) compliant. I'd like one that looks similar to the original, but have not found it yet.

Feedback Score
    Is there enough of a shoulder on the end of the threaded barrel to allow for use of shims with a Surefire SOCOM flash hider? I have a SOCOM 762 suppressor that might work well with this rifle.

I just watched the LAV video. It sucks you can’t at least lock the bolt back (I realize AK mags don’t have a bolt hold open).

Is JDI going to import spare bolts and bolt carriers? I only see 556 stuff and one 762 firing pin on their website.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    Is there enough of a shoulder on the end of the threaded barrel to allow for use of shims with a Surefire SOCOM flash hider? I have a SOCOM 762 suppressor that might work well with this rifle.
    What exactly would tell you if there's enough of a shoulder? I can measure the diameter at the shoulder and the outside diameter of the threads.

Is JDI going to import spare bolts and bolt carriers? I only see 556 stuff and one 762 firing pin on their website.
    He seems to order stuff from them on a regular basis, so I don't think it would hurt to ask. Obviously the market for 7.62x39 and 7.62x51 is much smaller that 5.56x45, so it would probably just depend on whether he thinks there's enough of a market for it or not. It all seems so well made to me that I'm not worried about bolts or carriers breaking. In fact, I've never seen either break on a regular factory made AK (excluding recent US made parts). If you had to replace a bolt, I'm not sure how the headspacing would work. Are they drop in or would they have to be fitted like a typical AK?

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the reply.

7.62 shims are 0.750" OD, 0.625" ID.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod98458.aspx

I guess I should call JDI and ask about parts. A friend of mine has like 3-4 if these Sig 553 type rifles and spent a fortune to buy spare parts. For my purposes, a Bulgarian AK tuned by Rifle Dynamics may work just as well, but the Sig has a far better optics rail. I could see the Sig being the perfect 7.62 Soviet hog gun (and deer for that matter)........assuming if I ever get time to hunt again with my job :-(

Feedback Score
    Forgot to add that the reason I asked the flash hider/suppressor question is because the SCAR 17’s pencil barrel doesn’t give you enough shoulder to mount a Surefire FH. You have to use the Surefire washer reversed or a special ring that Parker Mountain Machine sells. Not sure why FN didn’t give the barrel some more meat on the end. When I see your pics of your Sig, the muzzle threads look a little skinny to me

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MadAngler1 View Post
    7.62 shims are 0.750" OD, 0.625" ID.
    The diameter at the threads is 0.615". The outside diameter of the shoulder is 0.787". The length from the muzzle to the shoulder is 0.64". Based on mine, I think the shims should fit.

For my purposes, a Bulgarian AK tuned by Rifle Dynamics may work just as well, but the Sig has a far better optics rail. I could see the Sig being the perfect 7.62 Soviet hog gun (and deer for that matter)........assuming if I ever get time to hunt again with my job :-(
    If you can afford the 553R, then get it. I have it and several Arsenal AK's. There is no comparison when it comes to quality and reliability.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast