Thread: Training with carbine

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Training with carbine

Just a quick question. I've noticed when most people are training with carbines their targets are pretty close. What is the average distance that people train for with a carbine? And why?

Thanks so much!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are you asking about people you observed during a carbine course or people at the range in general?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I haven't had the luxury of attending a class so these are usually people I see in videos. I've also seen some drills that take place around 5-7 yards or so.

I'm guessing it's geared toward CQB.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Depending on the course it could be from 3 yards to 300+
    Your carbine is your primary weapon and you have to train/learn to aim properly and compensate for the sight over bore when shooting at different distances.
    Not because your target is closer you would just drop the carbine and draw your handgun. Rifles are better ballistically than handguns.
    Cheers

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    I haven't had the luxury of attending a class so these are usually people I see in videos. I've also seen some drills that take place around 5-7 yards or so.

I'm guessing it's geared toward CQB.
    You are getting this wrong because you don't understand what is being taught. Safety issues like keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction are all the same regardless of the distance to the target. Weapon manipulations like reloads and malfunction clearance drills are all the same regardless of distance to target. Shooting positions are all the same, regardless of distance to target. Even getting into more advanced topics that are not always covered in basic civilian courses such as effective use of cover, distance to target is simply not a major factor. In the context of these drills, the only real difference that distance to target will make is how much time is spent walking back and forth to check and change targets. Every civilian class that I've attended has mixed things up in terms of distances and some portion is always performed using the longest distance available on the range so it's not like they are ignoring distance shooting.

And let's be honest, self defense happens at close range. As law abiding members of a functioning society with police and courts and laws against killing people who are not trying to kill us first, the odds of needing to use a carbine at anything greater than 7 yards are pretty slim.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by odugrad View Post
    Just a quick question. I've noticed when most people are training with carbines their targets are pretty close. What is the average distance that people train for with a carbine? And why?

Thanks so much!
    From 3 to 300 yards is normal.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    As stated above, u would spend more time walking back and forth checking your target than you would in learning if you did everything outside of 25 yards. 90% of what you need can be taught at 3 yards much more effectively than 50 yards
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't see all that much value in shooting a lot of rounds at long distances, in terms of personal development for defensive use. If you like to shoot long distances for fun, that's one thing. It certainly is a skill in and of itself. In terms of your defensive uses, I cannot think of many scenarios where you would be within the law and engaging targets at 300 yards.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Took a few carbine classes with Kyle Lamb and Pat McNamara. We shot out to 100 yards, that as long as the range was, and in. Most of the drills were 50 and in though. In the street fighter class, we spent some time at 75 just so that you could see the difference between your point of aim/point of impact when you are firing from an unconventional shooting position, "aim high to the magazine side." I feel shooting at distance really just re enforces the basic fundamentals of marksmanship and as the gentlemen above said, you can learn the majority of what you need to a close distances and not spend 1/2 your range time walking to and from the targets and firing position.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk