Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: NSW goes Glock

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity, any word on why the 19 was picked over the 17? Relative unimportance of the sidearm v. added weight?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Dumb question, so don't answer if you don't feel like it, but what role does the HK45C serve, compared to what the Glock 19/P226 was suppose to do?
    The HK 45C serves in the role of a suppressed pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchTheWorldBern View Post
    Out of curiosity, any word on why the 19 was picked over the 17? Relative unimportance of the sidearm v. added weight?
    The 19 can fill a lot more roles without taking up as much real estate on an operators kit. The move away from a traditional sized "duty pistol" and a move to an "operators pistol" has been a reason behind the popularity of the G19.

The G19 is perhaps the most efficiently sized pistol in its class without giving up the capacity of a "duty size" pistol. The G19 can be carried covertly as well as overt supplement to a primary (RE: Long Gun) without being unnecessarily large (duty size).

Keep in mind that the G19 is replacing both the P239 and P226 9mm.

Personally, I think this has been a long time coming. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of really good pistols out there these days, and I like the SIG's. But when you start carrying a lot of gear, a pistol that does everything a 226 does in a lighter more efficient package is a huge step forward.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WatchTheWorldBern View Post
    Curious as well. I prefer my 17 over my 19 in every circumstance including iwb ccw. That being said the 19 is a damn fine pistol.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not NSW but the Glock 19 has been in use throughout JSOC and SF for a while, glad NSW is getting on board too. There are still 17s and 26s around but the 19 can fill the role of a combat sidearm and a concealable weapon for 90% of users without issue. The 17 not so much.

Rick

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    Curious as well. I prefer my 17 over my 19 in every circumstance including iwb ccw. That being said the 19 is a damn fine pistol.
    Again, the main advantage of the G19 is portability vs. the G17 much like the MK18 is to the M4A1. We are not LE reliant mostly on a "duty weapon." A G17 has a marginal edge from a pure shooting standpoint as would any duty size pistol. However, when you want to carry covertly or when you are kitted up and have to carry a variety of other tools such as comms, medical, engineering, heavy weps et al..trimming the fat every where you can is a never ending process.

"Economy of motion" isn't just a catch phrase.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Good choice, no surprise that NSW is making the move.

A good shooter can rock someone's world in speed and accuracy with a G19. Not giving up any magazine capacity either. Smart move all around.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    What is the replacement sight of choice? Is there only one that is used, or do you have somewhat of a choice between different sights?
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    Not surprising at all. Though I have to wonder what it says about the Sig P320...
    Before you suggest that licensing, background checks, or other restrictions for the 2nd Amendment are reasonable... Apply those same ideas to the 1st and 4th Amendments. Then tell me how reasonable they are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Again, the main advantage of the G19 is portability vs. the G17 much like the MK18 is to the M4A1. We are not LE reliant mostly on a "duty weapon." A G17 has a marginal edge from a pure shooting standpoint as would any duty size pistol. However, when you want to carry covertly or when you are kitted up and have to carry a variety of other tools such as comms, medical, engineering, heavy weps et al..trimming the fat every where you can is a never ending process.

"Economy of motion" isn't just a catch phrase.
    Got it. Makes a ton of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    What is the replacement sight of choice? Is there only one that is used, or do you have somewhat of a choice between different sights?
    Really curious about this too, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Not surprising at all. Though I have to wonder what it says about the Sig P320...
    I wondered this too, but honestly, I doubt it says anything more than the simple fact that no one has beaten the Glock 19 for size efficiency, and it has a hell of a track record.

All pistols suck, so you might as well carry the smallest one that still does the job if you primarily work with other tools.

If there's any more concrete information on why the P320 was passed over, though, I'm definitely curious.

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast