Thread: Resistering 80% Lower

Feedback Score

Resistering 80% Lower

I actually first posted this in the AR pistol section then thought maybe this would be the more appropriate area.

OK I'll start by saying I realize that many folks use an 80% lower to get around having to fill out paperwork to own a firearm and to own an unregistered (ghost gun).

That was not my reason for purchasing several 80% lowers. I've built/assembled several AR pattern rifles and carbines over the years and decided I wanted to have at least 1 or 2 that I actually fully (almost) built. I also knew there was a chance I would make a mistake either measuring or machining (which I did on one) even though I would be using a mill as opposed to a drill press. I plan on using one to build a retro M16A1 or XM177E1/2 in semi-auto configuration. Another has been completed but has no definite future as of yet. A third is one that is designed to accept Glock small frame mags and I plan on initially completing it as a 9mm pistol. I have two others that I have not yet done anything with.

My question is: Has anyone on this forum registered an 80% lower as an SBR. I have downloaded the forms to begin the process and would greatly appreciate the input and any tips from someone who has done this. The receivers are completely blank, no engraving whatsoever. I am also in the process of setting up a trust. I know that the trust info needs to be engraved somewhere on the lower. Do I just create a serial number of my own choosing? (I do realize the serial number cannot be a word and must be a series of numbers or numbers/letters) Who do I list as the manufacturer? What do I list as the model?

No conjecture please. If you haven't done this and don't know for sure, wait and read the response(s) from someone who has and learn with me.

Lobo
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    80% lower registered to an individual (myself)

Box 1 - X on "Tax Paid"
    Box 2- X on "Individual"
    Box 3a- Left blank
    Box 3b- My home mailing address
    Box 3c- Left blank
    Box 3d- My county
    Box 3e- My phone number
    Box 4a- My home mailing address
    Box 4b- "Short Barreled Rifle"
    Box 4c- 5.56MM
    Box 4d- The model name I gave it which has two letters and four numbers
    Box 4e- Barrel length
    Box 4f- overall length
    Box 4g- 7 digit serial number I gave it
    Box 4h- Described additional engraving that I had done on magwell
    Box 4i- "For competitive shooting and legal hunting"
    Box 4j- X on "no"
    Box 5- Left blank
    Box 6- Left blank
    Box 7- My signature
    Box 8- Left blank
    Box 9- Date when I signed
    Box 10 a through e- X on "No"
    Box 13- CLEO sign off

ETA- Number of characters listed in my model name and serial number aren't for any specific ATF purpose. I knew what I wanted and that's the make up/length they were.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 12-09-15 at 23:26.

Feedback Score
    Holy Crap that was fast and exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you very much.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    Holy Crap that was fast and exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you very much.
    I carry that one in my wallet. She's special to me.

Feedback Score
    A couple notes to add:
    1. Model is an "if designated" item, and needs to be engraved if you provide one. (I didn't for my Form 1 suppressors, which are similar to 80% lower)
    2. The serial number has to be Roman letters and Arabic numerals. The only requirement is that it must contain at least one numeral (for example, it can't just be a name)
    3. You must engrave the trust name (assuming you're going that route), the city & state where you physically make the firearm, the SN, caliber and model (if designated)
    4. All engraving must be a minimum of .003" deep, and placed on the frame, receiver, barrel or pistol slide (if applicable). The SN has the additional requirement of being a minimum of 1/16" tall, and can only be on the frame or receiver.
    5. If you use eForms, you don't put your trust as the manufacturer. You put FMI as the manufacturer code and it populates it as Form 1 Registration.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    I plan on using one to build a retro M16A1 or XM177E1/2 in semi-auto configuration.
    Pics when you're done. You're doing what I've been considering, except I think I might do a raw forging. It's either going to be a retro build or I'm going to go insane with it, custom "roll mark" engraving, and a few other out of the ordinary things...