G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Visiting Florida Next Month - CCW Permit Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    123
    Feedback Score
    0

    Visiting Florida Next Month - CCW Permit Questions

    Greetings,

    I'm an Alaska resident currently stationed in Hawaii. Next month I'll be visiting Florida for training and I understand that Florida issues CCW permits to non-residents. Is that correct?

    After reading the Florida statute on the topic, it seems like I'm eligible but I want to make sure to get it right the first time. What do I need to have to show training?

    Any other things that I should consider?

    Thank you kindly.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    22
    Feedback Score
    0
    My app took around 75 days till I received the license in the mail. You can't carry until you receive the license. Timeframe seems to vary though 45 - 90 days is what I hear.

    Take this preliminary test to see if you qualify
    https://licensing.freshfromflorida.c...questions.aspx

    See here for training
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...-Documentation

    Costs
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/cont...cense_Fees.pdf


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    123
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thank you for the reply, but I don't see that it helps much. To be clear, I want to get a Florida CCW.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    123
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Broko View Post
    My app took around 75 days till I received the license in the mail. You can't carry until you receive the license. Timeframe seems to vary though 45 - 90 days is what I hear.

    Take this preliminary test to see if you qualify
    https://licensing.freshfromflorida.c...questions.aspx

    See here for training
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...-Documentation

    Costs
    http://www.freshfromflorida.com/cont...cense_Fees.pdf


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the reply.

    Do you happen to know, regarding the military order to prove training, what they look for? I'll be there on temporary duty orders; would showing that to them suffice?

    Thanks again!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    194
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kremtok View Post
    Do you happen to know, regarding the military order to prove training, what they look for? I'll be there on temporary duty orders; would showing that to them suffice?
    The actual law, in legalese and the Agriculture Department's summation.

    • Any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency in another state; (This includes on-line hunter safety courses that most states offer free.)
    • Any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
    • Any firearm safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
    • Any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement
    • Any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified instructor or by an instructor certified by the National Rifle Association.

    Other acceptable forms of training documentation include the following:

    • Documentary evidence of experience with a firearm obtained through participation in organized shooting competition;
    • Active-duty military personnel may submit copies of any of the following documents that confirm your experience with a firearm gained during your service:
    • Military orders including call to active-duty letter;
    • A statement of military service signed by, or at the direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters which identifies you and provides your date of entry on your current active-duty period;
    • Former military personnel can submit a DD Form 214 reflecting honorable discharge from military service.
    Last edited by 4thPointOfContact; 12-15-15 at 23:37.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    481
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm stationed in Florida, and I've helped 8 of my active duty coworkers get their CCW. Your military CAC will suffice as proof of "handgun safety training." None of those individuals needed any proof other than their CAC. Depending on where you are going to in Florida, there may be a Department of Agriculture office nearby, you will just have to look it up.

    If you can, try to set up a "Fast Track" appointment. Instead of sending in a paper packet in the mail, you do everything (including fingerprints and photo) on site. It gets notarized right there and is submitted digitally, costs the same $112 as if you had sent in the packet, and it only takes about 10-20 minutes. You have to book the appointment over the phone, and it can be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks away. Once you package is submitted, it can take up to 90 days to get your card in the mail, but is usually much less. 2 of those 8 I helped got their appointment set up in 10 days, and received their license less than 2 weeks later.






    Quote Originally Posted by kremtok View Post
    Thank you for the reply.

    Do you happen to know, regarding the military order to prove training, what they look for? I'll be there on temporary duty orders; would showing that to them suffice?

    Thanks again!
    "Doc, can you check out this thing I got?"
    -Every Marine, ever.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    7
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by kremtok View Post
    Thank you for the reply, but I don't see that it helps much. To be clear, I want to get a Florida CCW.
    Yeah, I read your post too quickly and thought you had an AK permit. From some of the other posts, I'm guessing another state's permit would be valid proof of training, but then again the permit would be valid already. i suppose if one was relocating for any length of time, changing residency, then good to have that state's permit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Homer, AK
    Posts
    123
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tampam4 View Post
    I'm stationed in Florida, and I've helped 8 of my active duty coworkers get their CCW. Your military CAC will suffice as proof of "handgun safety training." None of those individuals needed any proof other than their CAC. Depending on where you are going to in Florida, there may be a Department of Agriculture office nearby, you will just have to look it up.

    If you can, try to set up a "Fast Track" appointment. Instead of sending in a paper packet in the mail, you do everything (including fingerprints and photo) on site. It gets notarized right there and is submitted digitally, costs the same $112 as if you had sent in the packet, and it only takes about 10-20 minutes. You have to book the appointment over the phone, and it can be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks away. Once you package is submitted, it can take up to 90 days to get your card in the mail, but is usually much less. 2 of those 8 I helped got their appointment set up in 10 days, and received their license less than 2 weeks later.
    That's precisely the kind of info I was looking for! Thank you very much! Your suggestion about the 'fast track' is exceptionally welcome. I really appreciate your insight.

    Quote Originally Posted by /dev/ar-15 View Post
    Yeah, I read your post too quickly and thought you had an AK permit. From some of the other posts, I'm guessing another state's permit would be valid proof of training, but then again the permit would be valid already. i suppose if one was relocating for any length of time, changing residency, then good to have that state's permit.
    No worries! I'm not planning to change residency, but I never got around to getting an Alaska permit before moving to Hawaii, mostly because I knew it would be useless here. With PCS season fast approaching, though, I want to be as close to ready as possible when it's time to move. Getting the Florida permit while I'm TDY is the most convenient way to do that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    476
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What tampam4 said... Book the appointment asap, I had allowed my Floida CCW to lapse and when I went to re-apply it was in the midst of one of the panics and I ended up booking my appointment almost 90 days out. The actual fast track goes very smoothly (I did mine in Tampa)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •